Water Pump Replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the water pump today, put everything back together, added 2 1/2 Gal of antifreeze, warmed her up and took her for a drive. Runs good. When I got back and turned the ignition off I heard a loud sound. When I popped the hood it sounded like everything was boiling over. The resevoir had filled to the top. (By the way, dumb question I'm sure, on the top of the resevoir there is a plastic tube about 12" in length. What does this attach to? Any suggestions as to what it may be doing? Once it cooled down, it stopped the boiling sounds.

You need to burp the coolant system when you fill it up on these or you get air bubbles in the system and it won't cool properly and can overheat quickly. Jack the front of the car up, take off the radiator cap and run the engine for a bit. I usually lower the car, jack it up and do it again several times. Sometimes it can take a while to get all the air out of the system. Watch the temperature until you know you have all the air out - its easy to overheat the engine with a big air bubble in the coolant.

Not sure what 12 inch hose you're referring to from the reservoir? I dont' know what year your car is, but if has an overflow tank, the hose connects from the radiator fill tube to the overflow tank. If not, put up a photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom