Wading Depth (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question here...

Does anyone know what the stock wading depth is for a 92 FJ80? Of course it's of dire need for me here in the Valley of the Sun!

If I add a snorkel what could I do "safely"?

If this is in FAQ I apologize...I'm at work and didn't have time to look through.

Last edited:
Drexx???:grinpimp::grinpimp:

People wade a river, trucks ford a river. I will look to see If I can find the safe fording depth (or more) when I get a chance. As for with a totally sealed snorkle, looking close to 3-4 ft, as long as you do not have any cabin leaks, windows rolled up etc. late robbie

There are several variables (current especially) and make sure you've extended the axle breathers. Standing water - stock I'd say you could go up to the sills, with a snorkel, probably mid-door. But remember, there are LOTS of openings into the cab, it's easy to soak an ECU or other important electric bit. Moving water decreases that.

People wade a river, trucks ford a river. I will look to see If I can find the safe fording depth (or more) when I get a chance. As for with a totally sealed snorkle, looking close to 3-4 ft, as long as you do not have any cabin leaks, windows rolled up etc. late robbie

Thanks...BTW either wade or ford can be used. Ford as a noun = the location. As a verb it's basically crossing at a ford. Wade can be used for either a person or anything else that passes through an impediment. Most references in manuals and books that I have seen use "Wading Depth".

I guess either is correct as long as wade in something other than a ford :)

There are several variables (current especially) and make sure you've extended the axle breathers. Standing water - stock I'd say you could go up to the sills, with a snorkel, probably mid-door. But remember, there are LOTS of openings into the cab, it's easy to soak an ECU or other important electric bit. Moving water decreases that.

...figured that you'd start leaking higher than the sills. In my 92 the ECU is above the glove compartment so I'd think I'd pop something else first like the fuse block in the DS kick panel. I could always be safe and have the wife in the car, that would limit me to about 2" :shotts:

OT a bit...in that video of Drexx doing his submarine impersonation did I see a female companion with him? I wonder what she was saying as she popped her head through the sunroof!?!

OT a bit...in that video of Drexx doing his submarine impersonation did I see a female companion with him? I wonder what she was saying as she popped her head through the sunroof!?!

Phx I have not seen this video...have a link?

I am no Drexx, but I've had it up to the start of the hood w/ a snork, and some engine waterproofing (dilectic grease and a lot of patience). I'mportant part about watercrossings is to keep a steady bow wave infront of the truck and not to stop. IF you do and the bow turn in, that's when you get H20 inside the cab if you have a high water lines. any water crossing and the breathers should be extended, and post crossing I would change the diff. fluid if there was a chance that water might have entered in. If you love your carpet and have to drive the truck dd and don't want to run the potential for water in the cab and all that fixing it entails, do play it safe and keep to the puddles and dry land.

I was present when Drexx too his rig swimming for the first time...

:rolleyes:

a couple things to note...the stock air intake is behind the corner lamps.

make note of that and where the distributor cap is. unless you seal the cap and install a snorkel, you' probably shouldn't wade in anything deeper than the lower of the 2 points.

.. this is good stuff. I recently crossed standing water mid-door but was curious about what areas to protect after I added the snorkel which was another 1/2 foot or so above the water at that time.

Keep the pointers coming. :grinpimp: any diesel 80's know of other issues or pointers?

.. this is good stuff. I recently crossed standing water mid-door but was curious about what areas to protect after I added the snorkel which was another 1/2 foot or so above the water at that time.

Keep the pointers coming. :grinpimp: any diesel 80's know of other issues or pointers?

Isn't a diesel supposed to basically run under water if plumbed correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom