Trailhead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Todd,

You touched on an interesting problem. I have never attended a TLCA event, or contributed to Toyota Trails, so my point of view might be skewed. The jist of what you are conveying is, everyone is welcome even if you are not "extreme". My membership to the TLCA was based purely on the love of land cruisers, and the search for more information about them. Rock crawling, extreme wheeling, etc... was and is just a curiosity to me. The May/June TT seemed to be predominantly rock crawling and extreme wheeling. Not to step on anyone's toe, but I hope this is not the direction the TLCA is going. Stock cruisers are cool too.

The nearest chapter(s) to me are a five hour drive in any direction, not exactly convenient. Cruiser "fellowship" would be nice on the SC/GA coast. There seems to be quite a few Land Cruiser aficionados in the immediate area, but no Chapter to attend. How exactly would a non-rock crawling cruiser group form?

I guess I would disagree. This issue seems very balanced to me. I'm going from memory and haven't finished the entire issue yet but Round-Up, the TTORA texas event, OTB, FLA Rocks are rock crawling. History and TLCA Ventura, River Shiver, Stock FJ60 getting a new motor/tranny/axle, Royal's tank, Ask Ivan are not.

I'm sure there will be the 'if you want to see it submit it' replies which is partially true. I would also guess that TJK is limited by what is submitted to him and if what he gets is rock crawling his options are limited. Are you new to the TLCA? I think the rock crawling articles have already hit their apex and have been far less prevalent over the last 5-6 issues.

Oddly enough my TT arrived after CM last weekend. Todd rode with me on the Spike and we had this very discussion. A discussion bout travelling the country and visiting different event, about the commonality of cruiser owners regardless of how they use them. He's nearly convinced me to fly out to GSMTR just to see a different element and mentality. I been lucky enough to have 3 articles appear in Trails and not one of them has been rock crawling focused. The Utah Cruiser Expedition would be considered extreme wheeling but I dont' think i presented it that way. Todd has accepted a 4th from me that is not rock crawling either. I think the balance is getting better and agree with the "trailhead"comments.
dmc

Last edited:
yeah I know, I figured the response I would get would be "submit an article than". Just not sure if anyone would be interested in an article about a lone cruiser-head with no chapter, or rock crawling mods. Beside the mundane daily use of an old cruiser, there is not much I can contribute. I'm in the game for the never ending pursuit of cruiser knowledge.

Oh I agree with you. I actually like the slice of life articles. I forgot that the latest issue has the Cruiser Camping article in it. (haven't read it yet) These articles go much further into the why we love our cruisers so much and treat them like family than many of the event and hardcore write-ups do. You never know how people are going to react to something unless you write it. And if you're not a writer convince someone who is to tell your story. Or a similar story.

dmc

i just got my 4WD Toyota Owner may/june in the mail, a few articles are almost identical between TT and itself. Rock crawling, extreme 4x4'n, and they even had a review of the 2006 land cruiser.

Excellent topic for us to discuss, but one that probably gives Todd ulcers.

I think you have hit upon a key component or something we should never lose track of. The reality is that Most LC owners are not into the rough stuff (ie, hard core wheeling). I know that in my club (which also happens to be the largest) probably only 1/3 or less are really into the hard core wheeling and most are in it to learn about their truck, explore new areas to camp, fish, engage the hubs, and have fun.

My friend Jeff Bomke and I created the McGrew Trail Ride to cater to his group specifically. It is very rocky and rough, but any stock truck can make it through with perhaps just a scratch or two, and that is due to teh Biscuit fire that tried to burn the entire state of OR a few years ago (Ken E. will correct me on teh exact acreage).

Todd's point is that virtually every TLCA event also realizes many folks simply want to attend a guided, easy to moderate run, one that challenges them and their truck, but does have certain death or truck destruction looming on either side.

Rubithon is the exception perhaps, but we have no choice there, and have initiated minimum requirements to help people gauge if they are up for it.

And what most folks have also found out, is that TLCA events are more than trails ride, they are social gatherings with friends whom you will meet from many other cities and states, that you might only see one time a year at an event. I know my wife loves to attend Rubithon and Cruise Moab... but it has nothing to do with the wheeling... it has everything to do with seeing friends (and in the case of Dave West, lovers) whom she normally does not see throughout the year.

(here comes the submit your own comment)

But eventually it boils down to someone taking the lead. Don't have a local club, create one. Don't have a local run, offer one. Simply put it out there and see who shows... and then as I always have said, keep offering it every year and soon, folks simply mark their calendar for your event. It becomes a regular 'thing' in which all of your new found friends will keep attending. I think the PMC Swap meet is a prime example. Started small but folks enjoy it and keep coming back.

Sorry to ramble, but you hit upon a topic that I fully agree with you on and believe very important with regards to balance in our assocation... emphasis on Our.

Thanks!

I'm not much into the stuff that I personally consider extreme. But there's the rub. Who decides what extreme really is? Some folks wouild consider anything beyond travellling unmaintained state roads out in Nevada or running fire roads in the Smokies to be extreme and that's all they want to do with their Cruisers. That would bore me to death. Some folks dream of doing a "tubby" type world wide jaunt. Great fun, but for the most part, again, boring as pavement to read about.

Spending all day working my way up a half a mile of boulder choked ravine alongside an access road doesn't really interest me beyond the respect for the skill and mechanical mods needed to make it happen. But those mods and the filter down effect that this stuff has on the rest of the folks in the enthusiest world and the rest of the rigs out there IS interesting to read about.

Take a look back through a couple/few years of the Trails. I think you will see that it is very well rounded in the coverage of a wide variety of user interests. Don't base an opinion on one or two issues.

Mark...

I was very impressed with Todd's editorial. I have shared and preached the same sentiment for many years. Just show up Folks ... you won't regret it. Damn-near every event does indeed have trails that are very doable with a stock truck. I personally enjoy swappin' lies and drinkin' beer in camp every bit as much as the wheelin'. My junk will generally go wherever I point it ... and a helluva lot of places that I don't point it. But I try to always take time at every event to help spot or offer worthless advise to the newbies. It's just as satisfyin' to get a fella through his first (2)-rated trail as it is gettin' my own junk through a (4) -or (5)- rated trail. I have very fond memories of when I first started rock-crawlin' and the folks that helped me do it. Once ya drag your ass off the couch and show up at an event ... you'll be hooked. And it don't mean travelin' down a road of expensive modifications neither. It just means enjoyin' the show.

I also second the opinion of startin' up your own Chapter. Hell ... if'n I can pull it off, anyone can. Just gather yourself up a few Cruiserheads and weed through the paperwork. Havin' been down that road a year ago ... feel free to PM me if'n I can offer any help. You've also got Roger Theurer as your Eastern Rep for TLCA that can assist. He's damn-good people ... and a member of The White Trash. :)
All you need is a little niche in the Cruiser World. Don't be thinkin' that your new club has to be limited to your local area neither. I formed up The White Trash 'round Folks that show up at events ... and our members cover the U.S. from coast-to-coast. Perhaps you could form up a similar Chapter based on stock rigs. It'd be way-friggin'-cool to have a Chapter of stockers show up in force at an event Brother. Let your imagination do some work and get after it. TLCA is a member's club run BY the members ... shape it however it fits your needs.

The magic word is simply PAR-TI-CI-PA-TION.

Good luck sir.

:flamingo:

Mark, I've only been a member for a few years. So, you're right I only have that time to reference.

Kowboy, good idea and I might hit you up for some ideas on getting something going. For the last 36 years I have lived in the coastal plain of South Carolina (no rocks, just mud) my whole experience with 4x4s is mud, pluff mud, deep swamp mud, and white clay, red clay and sand. I can say I roll my eyes and chuckle every time someone posts up a pic of; "I went mudding this weekend". But the mud subject seems to be taboo, I've heard it gets those fancy rock crawling mods dirty. As much as you rock crawlers don't want mud on you trucks, us mud boggers don't want rocks getting on ours either (it puts clean streaks in the coat of mud).

I understand it boils down to: Don't bitch and moan, if YOU want to see it in TT, contribute.

Yeah, I get a chuckle every time I read a California based 4x4 mag say that a tire "looks like" it would do well in mud too. Or when they "test" on in "mud" that is basically a little bit of water on top of some sandy soil. The 4x4 media would have you think that the number one challenge that off roaders face in getting where they want to go is big rocks.

Rocks are the top 4x4 money maker right now and it's easier to show radical rock crawling pictures without the greenies as likely to get upset as with pictures of rigs negotiating mud...

Mark...

As a "Rock Crawler" I may surprise you with my sentiments. I am sitting here making final prep to head to GSMTR early Sunday morning, but not with my coilover/linked comp buggy in tow. I am helping (towing 2 cruisers) a few of my friends (and local club members) get their Cruisers the 550 miles that Crawfords is from here. I am totally stoked to be a passenger in any of the Hoosier Cruisers rigs once we arrive.

My point I struggled to get to is that this "passion" we all have is as much about the people as it is the vehicles. The rock crawling extreme rigs make good pictures and as Mark noted, filter down ideas and advances that do apply, but it's the trail rides and club events that make the memories!

Looking forward to meeting some new friends and seeing many old ones during the next week!

TRT2 said:
Don't have a local club, create one. Don't have a local run, offer one. Simply put it out there and see who shows... and then as I always have said, keep offering it every year and soon, folks simply mark their calendar for your event. It becomes a regular 'thing' in which all of your new found friends will keep attending.

Excellent idea! :idea:
Mark your calendar...

5th Annual
Surf N Turf
November 3-5, 2006
Pismo Beach, CA

http://www.realcruiser.com/surfnturf/

No Rocks
No Mud

Primitive camp or Hotel

Over 150 Stock and Hard Core rigs (you do have to call it a "rig").

It's all about having FUN with our trucks - whatever your idea of FUN is you'll find it's even better with a group of like minded people.

Finally, for my two cents, I read all the magazines, all the articles - ususally more than once. I've changed my mind on what I like so many times I'd be afraid to pick a direction. So bring on the hard core, expedition, restorations, stockers, fire road runners, mud boggers, monsters muntants and even the new FJ... :D

Sorry to be getting in on this very late. Been swamped lately. But I appreciate the feedback, all of it. It's funny too, different perspectives on things. I think the balance has shifted away from the hardcore to the degree that I sent Nolen a note on Monday asking him to get me some hardcore coverage before folks start to howl.

My experience at Cruise Moab gave me some perspective on why I think we get more moderate wheeling stories these days. It's hard to keep track of things during a hardcore wheeling situation. Easy to take notes in Dave's 80 while on Golden Spike. Not so much in Mark Hawley's 80 while going up Hell's Gate. I had to force myself to quit grinning and take some notes (while fighting gravity). Occurred to me that others probably get off hardcore (whatever that is to you) runs and just savor the memories and never put them to paper. But what do I know.

Beaufort-FJ60, plan to drive to the Roundup with us next year. Or just ride along. It's a fun trip and a great place to find out what your vehicle or the vehicle you're in can do, without necessarily tearing it up. Consider yourself invited.

And for what it's worth, my club is 1,500 miles away. Proud member of The White Trash.

TJK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom