Suede Headliner! - pimpin' FZJ80 style (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
So I took the headliner down to weld up the roof rack holes and add some insulation. One thing led to another and, well...

That's suede baby! :grinpimp:
DSCF5918.jpg
DSCF5923.jpg
DSCF5891.jpg

Taking the headliner down is straight forward and it isn't as brittle as most make it out to be. Once out, you have to spend about 3-4 hours pulling the felt off. My fingers still hurt. Heat didn't help but plain ole water seemed to soften the glue. I was going to use a 3M adhesive remover but water is more pilot light friendly. All the threads I read online left the moonroof cover because it was too much of pain to remove. You just can't claim to be a pimp and have an uncovered moonroof cover now can you?
DSCF5848.jpg
DSCF5864.jpg
DSCF5873.jpg

Last edited:
I went to the 3M website and decided on the wrong adhesive first. According to them, the difference between Super and General is that the Super will not release in the heat. Only problem is it is a green/yellow and soaks right through suede. Sure enough, right on the can, it says use general for lightweight headliners where staining is an issue. I went out and bought the General Spray Adhesive and it worked without bleeding through.
DSCF5838.jpg
DSCF5855.jpg
DSCF5903.jpg

One more of the pillars getting covered. I orientated the suede the same direction on the sunroof and all the pillars just in case there was a grain to it. I used a blow torch to burn off the felt that was left over and then sanded the entire headliner with 400grit sandpaper to remove all the burnt fuzzies and glue residue prior to the suede. The visors will be recovered with suede as well as soon as I get around to it. This started out to be funny and turned out pretty classy. :grinpimp:
DSCF5913.jpg
DSCF5907.jpg

Last edited:
DUDE! No f'ing way!!

Its looking like a pimpin' good time.

But...you had the opportunity to go with orange suede ala MetalTech and you passed it right up :flipoff2:

That is awesome...I am doing my E28 M5 headliner in Alcantara and had thought about it for the Land Cruiser. What can I say I think Range Rover does the headliner thing right. I may have to do the headliner in Alcantara now...great job.

Wow, that is pimpin'. Do you have an estimate on how much time it took you to complete this job? If you don't mind me asking, how much does that amount of suede cost? Seems pretty spendy.

Wow, that is pimpin'. Do you have an estimate on how much time it took you to complete this job? If you don't mind me asking, how much does that amount of suede cost? Seems pretty spendy.

Not if you tan your own hides :flipoff2:

Hmmm, I need to do something with mine......I left an unopened Dr.Pepper in my cup holder a few weeks ago and it exploded.

I little off topic, but how would you think a sound dampening material would adere to other side of the headliner? would it pose any problems with fitment during the install?
Thanks

Kool.

So does this doesn't mean you need to be concerned about releasing in the heat does it??

I was concerned but the 3M Super is for heavyweight. The 3M General is designed for lightweight headliners where staining is an issue. The suede is so thin, I think static would be enough to hold it up.

Took a week working until the sun went down after I got home from work. Approximately 36 beers:hillbilly: The suede is Synergy Suede without the backing. The non backed is made for headliner applications. The total cost of the suede was 170. The cost of the 3M General Adhesive was 80. 16 dollars a can and it took 4.5 cans.

I little off topic, but how would you think a sound dampening material would adere to other side of the headliner? would it pose any problems with fitment during the install?
Thanks

The pics below show the sound dampening applied to the roof. If you look close at the headliner, you can see it touches the roof bracing so anything added there would prevent the headliner from being installed correctly.
More info in this thread on materials used and links:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/230709-welding-roof-rack-holes-headliner-removal.html
DSCF5451.jpg
DSCF5783.jpg

What, you didn't take the time to disconnect and remove those pointless rear tweeters!

I hope you checked to make sure all of the clips on your drain hoses were still secure and not slipping off.
bluetribal-albums-rear-cargo-light-picture506-while-you-have-head-liner-down-i-recommend-checking-all-your-sunroof-drain-hoses-i-had-one-half-way-off.jpg

Oh and is that a hole I see for a rear cargo light! Very Nice... I luv' mine.

And I thought I'd seen it all........... very nice!:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom