Stihl MS 170 Bar Oiler Problems (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I found this forum looking for an answer to my problem. Thanks to anyone who lend a hand.

I have a few year old MS 170. I am a very occasional user, who is still on my first quart of bar oil. I had noticed that the chain was running very hot. I noticed some bluing on the bar. I cleaned everything, and bought a new Stihl chain (14" bar)....ran the saw the other day, same thing, obviously not getting any lubrication. Took the bar off today, all is clean, all holes look good. I read a couple of columns, but really do not know where to start.

Like I said, this saw is still on its first quart of Stihl chain oil, nothing else has been used. I removed the rubber from the handle, and removed the oil hose from the bottom of the saw. I used low air pressure to push out toward the filter (in case there was a blockage). All the oil came out of the tank clean, 2-3 small chips.. I have tried to blow "up" the metal orifice in the bottom of the saw, nothing came out, and it did not feel as though air was going in. I tried to blow air in the oil exit hole near the bar....nothing there either. Put it back together, re-ran (without the bar) and still nothing. I do have torx bits, and most every tool (except for specialty Stihl tools). I just don;t know where to start. From a most probable problem...to least probable. I don't want to tear this thing apart, if all I need is a hose or something.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you for any advice!

Joe

Thank you for the quick reply. No, there is no oil coming out of the hole/ slot behind the bar.
Joe

Just ran it again. I AM getting a little oil out of the hole. There is a Oil/ Air bubble about every 5 seconds. There is no air in the oil, just a little blub of oil. Is this the right amount of oiling? I did not know that the bar came "blue" from the factory. Anything I should check to make sure it is working properly? Now that it is getting colder, is bar/ chain oil the right thing to use, as it is so thick, or should it be thinned. Thank you again for any advice.

Joe

In my experience the blue is the bar overheating. If you've really used the saw that little, then take it back to where you bought it and have them look at it. There is an adjusting screw for bar oil discharge, but I don't know that saw. There is also a small hole in the side of the bar into the bottom of the chain guide on the bar, make sure it's not blocked. Compressed air is good for cleaning all the goo off the saw. Any Stihl dealer should show you what to do and fix it in less than 3 minutes, shouldn't cost anything.

I do not remember the bar being blue originally, but, it was covered in paint. The chain was smoking last time I used it, so I am sure it was not getting lubricated properly. Some oil is coming out...I will put the bar and chain on it tomorrow, and check it out. How do I tell what is adequate?

When you run the saw, point the tip at the ground and hold it about 3 inches from the ground and run up the throttle, you should see oil spray on the ground from the chain. I looked that saw up on the Sthil website, it has an automatic bar and chain oiler. The chain shouldn't be too tight, but that still shouldn't effect the oiler output.

Thanks for the replies. Took off the clutch, everything looked OK, Put it back together and I am getting oil out without the bar. I ran the saw, and I do get some black oil off the bar when run up. I seem to remember a higher volume of oil, and it was clean....I will take it apart again to check some more.

Thanks for the help! The article was great!
Joe

How much oil flings off the chain depends on the brand of oil and the temperature in which the oil and saw are being ran in.

30w Motor Oil will fling all over the place on a warm summer day. Summer weight bar oil has a tackifier that helps it cling to the chain. When it is new freezing, the oil becomes thick and make the pump work harder.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom