Snowmobile mod question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How hard is it (read: expensive) change out the track on a snowmobile from a 136" to a 144"? :confused:

Anyone done this? and if so, was it worth it?

Looking to pick up a sled on the cheap, but everything out there in my $ range is a 136" track. I do a lot of mountain riding/boondocking, and want the extra length, while I wait for depreciation to do its thing on the newer sleds out there right now.

Let is snow, let it snow, let it snow!:flipoff2:

where you at? A few guys around here are upgrading, and selling there old ones

Down in SLC...there are quite a few 98-00 Polaris 700 RMK's for $1700-2500, with the 136" track, unfortunately. I am drooling over the Artic Cat 900 King Cats, but out of the price range for another year or two. Seems the wife wants more room on the house with kid #2 on the way, so a home addition is taking precedent on the finances :rolleyes: :D

Hoping to stumble across a deal to get me thru the next year or two.

I just want to be able to ride my Yamaha's this year!

Zack

1991 Phazer
2000 SRX 700 Triple

Damn right! Do it!

I picked up a 1994 Storm with a 121" track. Got a set of slide rail extensions from www.tracksusa.com and went with a new take-off 151" track. I also dropped the chaincase gearing a lot, to get it happy with the bigger sneaker, pulled off everything I could (oil injection, front nose cone, gauges except for tach, punched speed holes everywhere, etc), threw on some moto X renthal bars and a DG silencer. I spent a grand on it, and it's been a GREAT sled. A lot better than I thought an old-technology antiquated design would ever be.

I will never again pay a premium for a long-track machine. Buy a stock short track and upgrade, I can't figure out why I haven't done this before. It's not that hard, sleds are pretty easy to work on.

Typically for a longer track conversion you have to get the longer skidframe, or a kit for lengthening it, a tunnel-extender, longer hyfax and obviously a longer track. It's not that hard if you can replace the suspension on an fj, for a comparision.

I usually ride up in canada around the Lac St. Jean region. Anyone else ride up there?

I have been to St. Emilie-de-la-Energie, ~100 miles? north of Montreal. Never again....rude French Canadians. I'll stick to the U.P. from now on. I like Paradise, Munising, Houghton, etc. They are slightly more populated, a little narrower and maybe a little less groomed, but the overall experience is superior.

I'll second the notion to buy a standard track and convert it. An aftermarket unit like the F.A.S.T. M-10 is a great one and you'll be further ahead quality-wise than to settle for an OEM long track suspension (although they have got much better in recent years).

I have been to St. Emilie-de-la-Energie, ~100 miles? north of Montreal. Never again....rude French Canadians. I'll stick to the U.P. from now on. I like Paradise, Munising, Houghton, etc. They are slightly more populated, a little narrower and maybe a little less groomed, but the overall experience is superior.

Really?? All my experience with french canadians have been excellent if not better! Then again, the canadians from north of quebec are probably different.

You ride up here? Cool. Those are great places to ride!! Gotta love lake effect snow!!
My little MX_Z 440 does very well in the deep stuff even with the short track.

its really not that hard. I think its a nice uprgade. My family owns 3 rmk 700 2 2000 and an 01, 2 are 136 and one is the 144. i like the extra length.

If you are in SLC you need to look for sleds up in the logan area. There are way more sleds and alot more reasonably priced. trust me on this. I have buddies buying sleds up there and flipping them in SLC and UT counties often.

It's an easy mod, alot of guys ditch the 144 for longer tracks so you'll find a barely used track or new take off for 200-300 max. then just buy the rail extensions and swap it out - can be done in a few short hours. and for less than 500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom