SNOW chains for LC 200 Tire Michelin defender ltx 285/60R/18 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
May I please get recommendation for snow chain for the LC? I have been reading the forum and bit confused with all the reading. So far I learned that not put chains on the front tires due to clearance issue. Only the rear. I am not going deep on the snow but just travelling main hwy where snow chain restriction are usually in place. Appreciate your input. Thank you.

I live up in Tahoe, and have NEVER been asked to chain up my old 2017 4Runner nor my 2019 Cruiser. Chain control sends ya thru with the Rovers, G's, and Jeeps. Honestly, if conditions are so bad a full-time 4x4 can't get thru without chains, the Donner Party can wait for me ;)

I live up in Tahoe, and have NEVER been asked to chain up my old 2017 4Runner nor my 2019 Cruiser. Chain control sends ya thru with the Rovers, G's, and Jeeps. Honestly, if conditions are so bad a full-time 4x4 can't get thru without chains, the Donner Party can wait for me ;)
Thanks. I was planning to drive to Tahoe last week . Saw on webcam, Chain control inspecting vehicles at Kingvale. It made me cancel my plans. Checked DOT site, and saw chain control were in place for all vehicles except 4x4 with snow tires. I have 4x4 but not snow tires, so thought of getting chains for future use.

I haven't spent much time up in tahoe and I moved out of CA a few years ago, but I used to spend a ton of time in Mammoth and Big Bear. In my experience. To CHP that puts up the chain control checkpoints, a "snow tire" is anything stamped with M+S or the tripeak mountain snowflake. They've got a very lax definition. I had a built up 3rd gen montero at the time on KO2s and wouldn't even have to slow down the checkpoints. They'd just wave me through most of the time. I'd always carry them in the truck though.

Last edited:
Well, I am new to CA, having grown up in Alberta and just moved to Santa Barbara after 34 years living in Park City, UT (I drove my e39 M5 to the ski resort every day equipped with Blizzaks). My 2 cents is that I always carried chains when I ventured out in the snow- they just lived in the bed or trunk in a box along with a tow strap, jumper cables, gloves, flares, candle etc. for the winter. I probably only used them a few times in decades, but I look at them like a winch- it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them, especially when the cost is so minimal. You might be OK and get passed the CHP on 395 or 80 but there could be other situations where they are needed if you are out and about in the winter like the time we ducked around chain control at Shingle Springs on 50 going to Kirkwood from Sacto and had to chain up to get to Kirkwood which was, of course, empty because of the closed hwy- just saying! There is a whole thread somewhere here where a lot of chains were reviewed.

I don't know if you can easily get this brand in the US but here i bought some Weissenfels.

They are absolutely great, but expensive. Was around 200USD a pair.

I had two pairs caused i had a HDJ100 before, but now with the 200 you can only fit rear tyres.

Looking like this :

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 09.55.46.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom