Roll bar or Jump seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the angle iron bracket.

I think I would like it better as adapter plates that used the original bolt hole locations. I'll have to mock things up and see how it works out. I could use plywood to see if it works. Then make the real adapter plates out of steel. The only down side is the metal sticking into the cargo area when the seats are up. Also I don't want the seats taking up cargo space when in the up position.

I like puzzles.

Thanks for the ideas.

Scot

I have the original jump seats. Installing them will not allow a roll bar. I have no intention of ever driving it with the top off again.

What would you do if it were yours?

View attachment 3368575
My '74 LC came stock from the factory (bought new , Dec '73) at dealership) with BOTH Jump Seats AND the Interior Roll Bar.
Charles '74 LC.

I would redo the rear tubes and make the jump seats fit inside them.
IMG_4399.jpeg

I got my seats out of storage. One is much worse than anticipated. I did some rebuilding. The tubes that make up the seat frame are super thin and rusty inside. That makes welding a problem, at least for me. I got it done, clean and solid. IT was lot of trial error given my low budget arc welder and old rods. I may braze other repairs.

The repair section is where the hinge attaches. The steel was fatigued and chunk pulled out. To repair it I turned a matching diameter piece of thick wall tubing to make a sliding fit inside the existing tube. The existing tube is only about 0.045" thick. :frown: I beveled the end of the patch tube to fit the corner. IT all got frustrating when welding. I tried 1/16" rods, both 6011 and 7014. I tried AC and DC with electrode positive. AC at 50A and the 6011 seems to work best. Any better settings or rods? PS, I welded up a trailer box extension yesterday and got excellent results.

Both seats appear to sit about even with the edge of the wheel well in the obvious placement when folded up. I think that will be OK. Mine are the early style full length seats. I do not see a way to fit a roll bar that book ends my seats.

Two posts up?? The seat is shorter than mine. That looks like it has drawbacks too. One, the passenger would be likely to bash his head on the horizontal part of the tube. Second, the protruding bolt appears to be at face level for a passenger.

My roll bar is a sub optimal fit. It would have been better if it was about 2" wider. I have no idea of it's origins.

Thanks for all the ideas,

Scot

My roll bar is a sub optimal fit. It would have been better if it was about 2" wider. I have no idea of it's origins.

Aftermarket for sure; not Toyota.

There are old school aftermarket roll bars that work with the long jump seats. Still require a little modification, but look pretty good.

Here's mine when I got it. I've since removed the rollbar and reupholstered the seats.

i-SnrBHNH-L.jpg

This style requires cutting off the rear "armrest" on the jumpseat and some extra holes in the top of the wheel well to bolt down the rollbar.

I did some more mocking up. I have come full circle. The roll bar I have does not allow reasonable seat locating. It is back to an either or thing. I have to do some figuring. I may be able to get the roll bar out via the front doors if I remove the front seats. I am hesitant to remove the top again. Buying a new roll bar is more money. The top has to come off too.

IF I refurbish my original jump seats I will go with the factory configuration with no roll bar. For now I'll drive it as is, roll bar and no jump seats.

I have the original jump seats. Installing them will not allow a roll bar. I have no intention of ever driving it with the top off again.

View attachment 3368575
I’d remove the roll bar and attach the seats. Personally I have your attitude, safety isn’t compromised without the roll bar. That roll bar in the pic isn’t factory anyways. My 40 was an Oregon truck and never came with a roll bar,
just had the jump seats in the back. They weren’t there when I got it. But I have a set now and after the resto they will get fitted. I prefer full convertible mode with my 40 and my 74. They don’t just fall over.
830C9F3D-684E-41BF-B567-588112556027.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom