Restored FJ40 1971 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I’ve just got my ‘71 FJ40 back after a full nut n bolt restoration by a local team near me. I’m over the moon with it and they have done an amazing job. They have given it to me for a week to see what I think before it heads back to have the final bits sorted.
They only issue I can find is the steering. The alignment hadn’t been done, so I did that and it made a big difference, yet the steering is still pretty unpredictable! It feels very twitchy and will still wonder a fair bit. It’s had a 2’’ lift. But otherwise all pretty stock with PS added.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Pic for attention

IMG_3836.jpeg

IMG_3832.jpeg

IMG_7295.jpeg

Last edited:
Was it already on a later model frame or is that part of the restoration?
Steering could be shims needed at the spring perches to compensate for the lift.
Looks nice from here, happy for you!

Thanks - original but the rear lights were changed

Last edited:
New tires?

Power steering? New box?

Also don't forget, Fj40's drive like garbage.

New tires?

Power steering? New box?

Also don't forget, Fj40's drive like garbage.
Yes, yes and yes.
I know they won’t drive great but would be nice to be able to drive in a straight line without constant adjustments. Maybe I’m wishing too much!

What steering box are you running?

Was wondering about the spare on the left side until I realized your in London and vehicle is a RHD. Was this am import from another market? What happen to the PTO winch?

Yes, yes and yes.
I know they won’t drive great but would be nice to be able to drive in a straight line without constant adjustments. Maybe I’m wishing too much!

New tires will make it feel terrible. New steering boxes are usually too tight initially, then loosen up a little bit and wear in.

Yes, I imported it originally from Australia. The PTO is going back on next week

Do you have a picture from the back showing the Australian market tail lights? Australia required amber lens on rear tail lights back to the early 1960s. At first amber turn signal lights were added below the round tail lights. By the mid 1960s Australia had its own rear frame crossmember. It had a rectangular cut out like the 9/73+ just narrower. Was probably pretty easy to widen the opening towards the center.

New tires will make it feel terrible. New steering boxes are usually too tight initially, then loosen up a little bit and wear in.
If your "new"steering box is too tight it has been re-built incorrectly. This could be caused by a slew of things. My 1st thing I would do is check air pressure in the tires if you run the 45 to 55psi as the side walls of the tries call for it will drive like crap. 30 32 psi seem to be a happy spot for bfgs . I see this alot the bell crank has been over looked and is dry or has been adjusted to tight. I don't think you killed caster with that small of a lift. The trunion bearings could be too tight.

If your "new"steering box is too tight it has been re-built incorrectly. This could be caused by a slew of things. My 1st thing I would do is check air pressure in the tires if you run the 45 to 55psi as the side walls of the tries call for it will drive like crap. 30 32 psi seem to be a happy spot for bfgs . I see this alot the bell crank has been over looked and is dry or has been adjusted to tight. I don't think you killed caster with that small of a lift. The trunion bearings could be too tight.

Then I've had multiples that have loosened up and felt better after 500 miles, and are perfect after that.

Can't speak to the bell crank, I have a Saginaw box.

I have a similar experience with BFG AT's.

Hi all,
I’ve just got my ‘71 FJ40 back after a full nut n bolt restoration by a local team near me. I’m over the moon with it and they have done an amazing job. They have given it to me for a week to see what I think before it heads back to have the final bits sorted.
They only issue I can find is the steering. The alignment hadn’t been done, so I did that and it made a big difference, yet the steering is still pretty unpredictable! It feels very twitchy and will still wonder a fair bit. It’s had a 2’’ lift. But otherwise all pretty stock with PS added.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Pic for attention

View attachment 3460868

View attachment 3460869

View attachment 3460886

You mentioned you had it aligned. What are the caster #'s. Twitchy and unpredictable are terms usually related to negative caster, but usually a 2" lift doesn't effect caster much. Playing around with tire pressure can help along with proper toe in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom