Repairing Honda Rancher after "float trip" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried to cross a large river here in GA after a friend made it in his 700 twin Polaris. I made a couple mistakes plus the smaller bike, didn't make it.

Long story short, my Rancher and I took a 50 yard float trip down the river. Fourwheeler was completely submerged at times.

Got it home, and after running a couple gallons of oil through it, I've got the oil looking normal. Unhooked the gas line from the carb and drained a quart off in case there was water in the gas. Covering the spark plug hole with my finger and turning the engine over I was able to get a lot of water out of the carbuerator. Installed a new plug, and using a little ether got it to start.

Now it will idle great, and rev some with the choke pulled. With no choke, touching the throttle will make the engine sputter and eventually die.

The engine is now up to temp and has been idling for 20 minutes or so. The exhaust, which was emitting a lot of steam for awhile has quit.

Any help is much appreciated. I am hoping to take the fourwheeler out tomorrow, so if you have any suggestions, speak up!

If this was a Land Cruiser, I'd say it had a vaccum leak, but there is not much opportunity for one on a fourwheeler.
IMG00245.jpg

take the carb apart and clean it out .

starting fluid is for diesels

drain the whole gas tank , you might of done damage to the engine . was it running when you got water in the intake ? or did you shut it off ?

you also might want to check out your electronics , take all the connectors apart and di-electric grease them .

Should have posted up after I got it fixed.

I did shut it off before the engine had a chance to ingest water.

Got it running the next night. Had to run 3 gallons of oil through the engine before it ran clear without water.

To get water out of carb, put thumb over spark plug hole and turned engine over, thumb being a one-way valve, pulled vacuum through the carb and pulled out enough water for it to run.

After that, found valve on bottom of carb, pulled it to drain float bowl. After that, it ran like nothing ever happened.

Now I need to clean out brakes, they are sealed but got water in them and are not working that great.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Should have posted up after I got it fixed.

I did shut it off before the engine had a chance to ingest water.

Got it running the next night. Had to run 3 gallons of oil through the engine before it ran clear without water.

To get water out of carb, put thumb over spark plug hole and turned engine over, thumb being a one-way valve, pulled vacuum through the carb and pulled out enough water for it to run.

After that, found valve on bottom of carb, pulled it to drain float bowl. After that, it ran like nothing ever happened.

Now I need to clean out brakes, they are sealed but got water in them and are not working that great.

Thanks for the suggestions.

glad to hear it .

motorcycle or atv carbs are super simple . i take mine apart yearly and clean them out . they all have the little drain on the bottom of the carb .

you would be amazed at the junk that gets in them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom