Question on Slider Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so I didn't have time to install my sliders this weekend, but did get under there and do a little "recon". I cleaned the threads for the passenger's side mount, for instance. One question, though - these sliders install with the big U-bolts that clamp the sliders to the frame. On the driver's side, you have to loosen a couple of clamps to pull the brake lines away from the frame to position the u-bolts between the lines and the frame (to not pinch the brake lines).

Anyway, one of those brackets that secures the brake lines is held on by a bolt that is right between the gas tank and the frame. I messed with it for about 10 minutes, but I think it is doubtful that I can get that bolt out (very difficult to even get a wrench on it).

My Plan B at this point is to just leave the bolt there and pry the bracket away from the frame enough to slip the u-bolt between the brake lines and frame.

Any better ideas?

Best case is to back the bolt out. not sure what sliders you have there, they look like WKO, but neither here nor there, they should have sent a couple of little spacers to hold the brackets off the frame. If you can't get the bolt out, I would try to gently pry the bracket as you mentioned to gain some clearance. The only issue I would see is that the bracket will likely want to try to return to "normal" and you could end up with some rubbing between the lines and the bolt. If you end up going that route, I would grab some rubber fuel hose and put that over them to help keep the rubbing to a minimum. I can't remember how that went on mine. Do you have any ratcheting wrenches that you can slide up in there to back it out?

Yeah, they're WKO. It came with the new screws with the spacers, but I will be lucky to get that existing bolt out. I could reach around the top of the frame rail and get a closed-end wrench on the head, but couldn't turn it. I couldn't get anything on it from below. I even tried my 1/4" drive breaker bar (really small) with a little socket on it...

I probably won't get a chance to mess with it for a few days, but would love to hear how others (Corey?) have gotten this bolt out.

Thanks!!

It's been such a long time since I put mine on, I would have to look and see.

TLCA #13178 Appalachia Cruisers, STLCA

I will look at mine tomorrow if I get a chance and see if I can remember how to get in there.

I don't remember- I'll look at it tomorrow- I think I just pried it out????? I'm sure my solution wasn't the best.

I don't remember- I'll look at it tomorrow- I think I just pried it out????? I'm sure my solution wasn't the best.

Ha!! Yeah, I'm thinking of prying myself. :) Even if I could get this bolt out, I don't think I could get the new, fancy one with the spacer back in, so what the heck. It'll probably be this weekend before I can mess with it again, so I've got time to think about it.

Thanks for the replies!

FWIW, I got the bolt out yesterday. Just needed to drink two beers and use one of my closed-end ratcheting wrenches. Gotta head to Chattanooga and pick up my nephew and then hope to get the sliders on this afternoon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom