Question for anyone running the OME FR10 front Coilovers/Struts or Dobinsons Front Struts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I have a question for anyone who is running the OME FR10 front struts or Dobinsons front Struts. I'm currently running Bilstein 5100 coilovers with Toytec springs upfront on a 5th gen 4runner, but I have recently begun to question that decision due to the increasing amount of people experiencing failure with these when offroading(as pictured below).

As such, I was looking around for an alternative strut or coilover that would be stronger than the Bilstein 5100 for off road use. I found this set of OME FR10's on Toytec's website (linked here: OME-FR10 - Old Man Emu Front Coilovers (10-14 FJ, 10+ 4Runner, 10+ GX460)) and these Dobinson's front struts (linked here: Dobinsons Pair of Front Struts for Toyota FJ Cruiser 2010+ and 4Runner 2010-2019 - Dobinsons Direct). Both of these appear to be beefier on the end of the coilover that normally breaks on 5100's. My question for anyone running the FR10s or Dobinsons Struts is, what is the diameter of that end piece on the strut? To better outline where I'm talking about, I took a caliper to the point of interest (see the photo below) and measured this end piece to have a 0.632 inch diameter.

If the diameter of this piece on the FR10 or Dobinsons Strut is substantially larger than the 5100, then I think I will want to purchase one of those options before I go wheeling again. I'm also curious to hear anyone's general opinion of the FR10 or Dobinson Strut in comparison to the 5100. My concern for breakage may be ill-founded, so I certainly wouldn't mind hearing what people have to say in defense of the 5100. Thanks for the help anyone can provide.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom