Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just fab up your own manifold. There are some pretty simple log type designs that could be done blindfolded.
I just used the stock manifold for a template. You drill one hole then bolt is to your flange. drill the second hole, another bolt. Then drill the rest.

I tacked everything together and then weld the manifold to a fab table ( just a few 1" welds) or some big chunk of flat steel. So when you weld it all up, it doesn't warp on you.

Easy!

Just fab up your own manifold. There are some pretty simple log type designs that could be done blindfolded.
I just used the stock manifold for a template. You drill one hole then bolt is to your flange. drill the second hole, another bolt. Then drill the rest.

I tacked everything together and then weld the manifold to a fab table ( just a few 1" welds) or some big chunk of flat steel. So when you weld it all up, it doesn't warp on you.

Easy!
I thought about doing that but I have no time. If I like how the truck goes when I'm done with this, I will probably consider making my own

Not enough time? Ha! why so busy?

Work, it gets in the way a lot! Whatever little time I have left gets hogged by wife and daughter, lol

Almost done! Just need to relocate the valve cover breather hose into the intake pipe coming off the filter and cap the intake throat inlet where the valve cover used to connect to before.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm going to cut the hood tomorrow and let the turbo stick out gloriously through the hood, ha.

sweeeet :beer:

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention is that the smoke issue is gone. The truck does not smoke anymore. It burns the fuel as it should. So I'm happy about that..

yeeee haaaa!

So after a couple days of driving here are my findings. I managed 21mpg, mostly highway. I also noticed that it runs cool as before, maybe if I really lay into it, the needle would climb just a little higher on the gauge. There is one thing that I have a question about. My egt's are spot on for cruising around 550 or so but if I go uphill and really give it the beans, they climb past 1000 real easy. In fact I back of at around 1200 as I know that that is the danger zone, but I see that it would just keep climbing past 1300 with ease if I keep going. The truck feels powerful and I wonder if te po had messed with the fuel screw before. I have not yet touched it. Also the truck smoked excessively before the turbo (black smoke). I did a bunch of reading and searching last night, so that's why I am posting today.

Based on all my research, an intercooler would be a good way to drop the egt's. Looks like I'm going to have to plan for one of those.

Congratulations for getting it all working, very nice and that sound is awesome, all landcruisers should have a turbo from the factory.
For the temp my HJ does the same because it has to work uphill but it wont kill itself, just dont get the gears to high and smother it?

Congratulations for getting it all working, very nice and that sound is awesome, all landcruisers should have a turbo from the factory.
For the temp my HJ does the same because it has to work uphill but it wont kill itself, just dont get the gears to high and smother it?
Excellent, thank you for your advice. It's great to know..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom