on the road thru Helena (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3_puppies

SILVER Star
Threads
2 of the loads made it thru Helena. on the way to Townsend tonight. it is hard to describe how big these loads are until you walk around them.
P3160003.JPG
P3160006.JPG
P3160004.JPG

AFAIK they are going thru deep creek, harlowtown and the back way into Billings.

I'll bite, what are those things and what are they for?

Shoot, I thought everyone in the state knew about these!

they are for an upgrade to the Connoco refinery in Billings. they are 2 pieces that go together to make a coke drum. I don't know if the other 2 pieces fit with these 2, to make 1 unit?? When these first 2 get to Billings, they'll go back to idaho and get the other 2 pieces.
Each weigh 300,000 lbs+

Great pics, Paul! Thanks for posting!

There was opposition to the shipment of these loads. For the record, I am glad they lost. Let the mega-loads roll! :)

By the way, the 45 does a lot for the pictures, Larry

Great pics, Paul! Thanks for posting!

There was opposition to the shipment of these loads. For the record, I am glad they lost. Let the mega-loads roll! :)

I was trying to figure out a way to show how big they are.

I wish they'd let the others go thru to Canada.

these are huge, they did not look that big until a subaru drove in front of them and wow,

They are in Billings this morning! Sitting up by the airport!
Misc 010.jpg
Misc 008.jpg

they are kinda big when your up close to them! Are they going thru town tonight?

Then it's off to get the other 2 of them.

Must be one heck of a crane to move them around.

Yes.

They. Are. BIG!

I have never seen oversize loads like these ones. Each 300,000# section is rolling on 96 tires!

They went thru town overnight, and I suppose they are on the Conoco Phillips site this morning. And, as Paul mentions, they will unload 'em and then do it all again!

Way cool!

:)

the next 2 loads are on the west end of Helena. not nearly the hoopla the first 2 made.

Holy ball's

Guys, are you serious when you say you want the 207 truckloads to go to Canada?

Sorry to disagree 100%. The tar sands up there are the most destructive event since the Butte Pit. So much of the oil they process from Alaska and Canada is exported to CHINA. That money, even if this was a good thing should stay in the states. To LOWER our gas prices, but oh know, they (Exxon, Conoco) don't want that info out there in the public eye to very much.

And even so, why the **** wasn't all of this huge mass of equipment built in the USA and Canada? That's hella lot of jobs and materials. They just nickel and dime us to death, eh.

Just my opinion. Want more, I'll post the exact facts.

Holy ball's

Guys, are you serious when you say you want the 207 truckloads to go to Canada?

Sorry to disagree 100%. The tar sands up there are the most destructive event since the Butte Pit. So much of the oil they process from Alaska and Canada is exported to CHINA. That money, even if this was a good thing should stay in the states. To LOWER our gas prices, but oh know, they (Exxon, Conoco) don't want that info out there in the public eye to very much.

And even so, why the **** wasn't all of this huge mass of equipment built in the USA and Canada? That's hella lot of jobs and materials. They just nickel and dime us to death, eh.

Just my opinion. Want more, I'll post the exact facts.

you sound like the guy who called into Aaron Flyn's voices of Montana this morning.

Yes I am serious about the other loads heading north of the border.

With the price per barrel of oil currently, and no loss of demand, the tar sands make good economic sence.
We have plenty of oil in the US to satisfy our needs for more than a century, but we aren't allowed to get at it.
With our oil reserves either being locked up or off limits, the oil needs to be found some where.
Was it Shell who spent 4 billion trying to drill in Alaska but being denied an air quality permit.
As for the "big" bad oil companies, they are making a profit, that's what publicly traded companies do. I would venture a guess that almost all of us, have at least some oil stock somewhere in a retirement account.
There are many, many products with a petroleum base, we are just not going to get away from using oil.

As for the constructing the units in the US, sure it's possible, but they would still need to be transported!
The tar sands are bad news if the units are made outside of the US or Canada, but the tar sands are OK if the units are made domestically?

these would be my own opinions.

Last edited:
My 2 cents and a five dollar bill will get you a cup of coffee at City Brew.

I don't find common ground with the ones who want to vilify oil companies. I am quite sure that there are cases where oil companies, and other big companies, have done harm. But that don't mean we should work against them at every turn.

There are three refineries near Billings that are big employers. The people that work there draw good salaries. The jobs spin off many benefits to the communities around here. These companies are careful, put worker safety at high importance, and produce petroleum products that we all need. Oil and mining jobs are good jobs. No, we don't want environmental disasters, but we do need to extract minerals and oil and use them.

Environmentalists always want to impede everything. They scream, cry and protest everything. If we allow them to lead, we will have no good paying jobs and all our public lands will be shut down except to hikers and birdwatchers.

Look at the environmentlists stance on energy: Coal: NO! Nuclear: NO! Oil: NO! Gas: NO! The only thing they like is wind power and they do not seem to understand how unworkable it is.

Let the megaloads roll and lets get on with the business of petroleum production. We need it for plastics and fuel. Dig out the tar sands and extract the oil.

I have many friends that have relocated to North Dakota and are making good money in the petroleum industry because of the Bakken Formation drilling that is going on up there. They are building like crazy up there. Houses and schools are needed, buildings are going up and people are employed, doing work, and making money. Environmentalists did not create those jobs, oil companies did.

Thats my 2 cents. Call me nuts if you want.

First of all thanks 3_puppies for pointing me to the MT forum :) Good to see all kinds of fellow MT folk that like old LC's as much as I do. Second, awesome pics. I work for Baker Hughes and we are drilling for Uncle ConocoPhillips out here in North Dakota right now and there was lots of talk when no one wanted these "dirty" refinery parts travelling on the road. And people wonder why gas prices are so high. Funny how all the greenies don't mind wind turbine parts on the road. Oh, but they don't like wind power now either didn't you hear? It kills the bats and the ducks and geese and the gryphons and dragons. Eventually its going to come down to "how are we going to keep the lights on?" As for the crooked big oil comps, right now they are providing me and A TON of people I know with a great paying J-O-B. And one of these days (soon) I hope we see some more drilling in MT so I don't have to drive some damn far! .02:)

I grew up working for contractors that did jobs for different oil companies, some major and some minor. The guys that worked for the major players, e.g. Exxon always had great salaries, benefits, and could walk into any place and get instant credit based on that alone. It was the job to have. Every time I was sent to a different refinery to work, there was no question where I'd rather work. Exxon was always the plant you wanted to be in. For one, the safety standards and quality assurance were second to none. I'm pretty sure the other major companies have the same high standards too. I'm thankful for what they did for the economy as well as helping me get on my feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom