Oil Change Interval (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW - rust is still a problem. Especially on the skid plate hardware and the frames. Not really an issue in Utah, but in Juneau I would have the frame fully coated in some form of light oil rust prevention and re-coat annually. (In an weird world it might actually last longer to develop a small oil leak that the fan could mist down the entire undercarriage periodically and it would probably significantly increase the longevity in coastal climates.)

I've shared this video before on other threads on MUD, but it's great if you haven't seen it. Although I had a TRD OR model - I think you'll be surprised at just how good it is in totally stock SR5 form with ATRAC. It really impressed me. Unfortunately the ATRAC in my Tundra is crap - it's not even close to how good the version is in the 4Runner. There are certainly times where real lockers are better, but it's probably 95% of the way there without them.

That is impressive. I’ve seen some videos of early 100 series ATRAC ( i believe ) and wasn’t impressed. That is pretty amazing!

I’ve got an auto locker in the back of my 80 and am not at all a fan. It works amazing in dry off road. But it always engages when you least want it to off road. Wet conditions, and it slings the back end down hill. Even road driving on ice, it’s a pain.

I did two oil change intervals of 10,000 miles when the vehicle was new. I used Mobile1 synthetic of the specified weight. Both times, after the oil change, it ran noticeably better. At first I thought that perhaps I had imagined it, but after the second time, I realized that the 10K interval was not in my engine's best interest. And no, I did not get the free oil change at the dealership because I simply don't trust anyone to work on my stuff. Seen too many disasters from some high school dropout failing to tighten the drain plug and/or the filter. Plus, I don't know who supplies their bulk oil, so I have no idea what's going in the engine. No, no, no.

My LX470 had 8,000 miles on the last oil change with Kirkland synthetic and high quality filter and I sent a sample to BlackStone and it was very good. They thought it could go 10k easy. I think I am going to stick to full synthetic and high quality filters on all my cars and just change it at 7,500. The Lexus has 261,000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom