LX470 vs. GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I own a 96 FZJ80 and I love it, it is my daily driver and we get a long great. Right now :princess: drives an 07 Camry and it is/has been a great car for us, those are the only two vehicles we own.

I did a search and checked the FAQ but didn't really see anything that talked about this. We have been looking at getting another SUV something :princess: would drive and then I would probably keep the 07 Camry for a DD and the 80 as a winter/camping vehicle. She really wants a GX470 and I have tried and tried to convince her other wise with no luck. I have done a little reading but what are the differences between these two models?

My wife owned a 2004 GX and it was more luxo than my 2000 LX. She had problems with it the entire lease period - was glad to turn it back in.

The LX is a fru-fru version of the LC. The GX is a fru-fru version of the overseas-only Prado. THe closest thing in the US to the GX is the 4Runner but there are lots of differences - same frame I think.

I would get a 4Runner over the GX because I think the rear hatch with sliding window is much nicer than the huge rear door on the GX. The GX also seems top-heavy.

I think the GX is a stronger built vehicle than the 4runner. Just sharing a frame doesn't mean the internals are the same. If you look at the overseas Landcruiser Prado model, yes, they very much akin to one another. Thinking they are the same truck other than luxury options in the GX.

I would say get the LX.....nicer, more exclusive, more classy, more stable in turns, more space, and more upgrades should you ever get the itch......which you will........its unavoidable

Or the best one that fits in your budget.......i.e. miles and service record

I looked at the GX's and 4-Runners and tried to find a nice LC locally but couldn't. The additional room and purpose built design of the LC/LX makes it, for me, a far better choice than the smaller rigs. I still have trouble talking about driving a "Lexus" even though it's 8 years old. I just call it the Land Cruiser when discussing which vehicle we're going to take somewhere. However, the niceties of the LX over the LC made me glad to get that version in the long run. But, I wouldn't have been disappointed had I found the LC version closer to home.

One nice thing about having a Lexus instead of a Toyota is the difference in the dealerships. While our local Toyota dealer is very good (we have a '07 Camry Hybrid too) the way you're treated at a Lexus dealership is on another level.

Last edited:
If I had my way, which I probably won't, it would be a no brainer I would go with the LX470. I have read that there are some similarities to the LC Prado's over seas and :princess: and I went to Australia last year and they seem very similar.

I just want a good break down on the differences of these two vehicles.

The GX does have around an inch more headroom than the 4Runner.

I can weigh in on this.. the :princess: and I looked at both vehicles, and when push came to shove, we went to our local Lexus dealership and compared them side-by-side. For us, we needed the wider back seat and more room in the back row (seats up) for hauling our junk when traveling.

The GX had more leg room in the middle seat than the LX, but there's no way we could have gotten three car seats in the middle row of the GX. IMO the LX is more plush. I much prefer the seats in the LX to the GX, and after a three hour drive home from picking up the LX, I wasn't exhausted like I would have been in my DD or my wife's old vehicle.

We opted for the LX470 and have been tickled ever since we drove it off the lot, but then again, it will meet our needs better than the GX would have.
--jeff

Fueg0, I take it from your location signature that you live between Round Rock and Austin?

you can hang a big roger on that one. Pflugerville, to be exact.

--jeff

I got one of each, both have around 70K miles and I prefer the LX. But, I will say a few things on behalf of the GX which I drive a couple days a week, usually on the weekends. It has noticeably more acceleration and I've seen people mention it felt more "tipsy", but our GX handles corners better than my LX. The GX is a very luxurious ride and it is almost as comfortable as the LX, but not quite. The GX does have more leg room in the middle and is a few inches narrower on each side but not as small feeling as a 4 runner. I test drove an 08 4 runner the same day we drove the GX and the GX may not have much more interior room on the spec sheet but it definitely feels larger.

So in a nutshell, I certainly don't mind driving the wife's GX at all. I don't feel like I'm missing anything while doing so and not to mention, it is very capable in it's own right off road. Now having said all that, I wouldn't trade the LX to the wife willingly, but I guess if she just had to have it, I wouldn't be that heartbroken.

My wife has a GX and prefers it over the 100 series. From a size stand point, more luxury, better acceleration, better fuel economy and braking. It handles well. She uses to haul children around. The interior in the GX is one of the nicest we have ever experienced. I learned along time ago to let the wife drive what she wants and not push her at all towards something she "may" want. Both are excellent choices.

The two biggest differences are the width and the rear hatch. We have the 4R and the hatch with the power window is great. The GX has a huge door that opens the wrong way if you are parked at a curb. The hatch/tailgate of the 100 is the best design on the market IMHO. When we bought the 100 we shopped for two priorities - the ability to seat three adults in the back seat and towing. Three adults in a 4R or GX is really tight. There are many other crossover vehicles on the market that fit that bill better now. The GX has a slightly higher towing capacity than the 100, but what's the point if we are all crammed in for the drive?

The other major difference is the driving feel. The GX will feel like a go cart compared to the heavy LX. You get used to the feel, but it is markedly different.

I got one of each, both have around 70K miles and I prefer the LX. But, I will say a few things on behalf of the GX which I drive a couple days a week, usually on the weekends. It has noticeably more acceleration and I've seen people mention it felt more "tipsy", but our GX handles corners better than my LX. The GX is a very luxurious ride and it is almost as comfortable as the LX, but not quite. The GX does have more leg room in the middle and is a few inches narrower on each side but not as small feeling as a 4 runner. I test drove an 08 4 runner the same day we drove the GX and the GX may not have much more interior room on the spec sheet but it definitely feels larger.

So in a nutshell, I certainly don't mind driving the wife's GX at all. I don't feel like I'm missing anything while doing so and not to mention, it is very capable in it's own right off road. Now having said all that, I wouldn't trade the LX to the wife willingly, but I guess if she just had to have it, I wouldn't be that heartbroken.
I'm encountering this very situation, sort of.

I'm selling my 89 FJ-62 to my B-I-L and so I need a replacement vehicle. I got my wife a 2002 LX 470 last year and we both love it. It's such a pleasure to drive. So I want to get another LX 470 but my wife is saying we don't need TWO vehicles that have 3rd row seating, not to mention the same model. She is suggesting the GX and I sort of agree but I'm also about value and I know LXs are more valued/desirable than GXs. So the more I thought about it, I proposed that we trade. She take the GX and I get the LX. But only IF we find a good value on the GX. I'm getting the best value vehicle, bottom line. If I end up with 2 LXs, then that's not such a bad thing. I do want to drive the GX. There's one about 20 miles away, a 2003 for $8k. 150k miles. I think it's worth checking out.

The GX has third row seating too. We looked at one due to a lack of LX options in our area but it was too narrow inside and we couldn't get over the rear swing door. That said, it's noticeably faster than the LX, easier to find, and are a damn good value at the prices they can be picked up for.

I'm encountering this very situation, sort of.

I'm selling my 89 FJ-62 to my B-I-L and so I need a replacement vehicle. I got my wife a 2002 LX 470 last year and we both love it. It's such a pleasure to drive. So I want to get another LX 470 but my wife is saying we don't need TWO vehicles that have 3rd row seating, not to mention the same model. She is suggesting the GX and I sort of agree but I'm also about value and I know LXs are more valued/desirable than GXs. So the more I thought about it, I proposed that we trade. She take the GX and I get the LX. But only IF we find a good value on the GX. I'm getting the best value vehicle, bottom line. If I end up with 2 LXs, then that's not such a bad thing. I do want to drive the GX. There's one about 20 miles away, a 2003 for $8k. 150k miles. I think it's worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom