Looking to buy have a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all I have been reading here for nearly a year learning what I can before buying my first cruiser.
I have found 2 I am trying to decide between and would like to hear some opinions.
Cruiser 1
92 recent engine rebuild with cam and header
96 rear axle swapped in with 4.88 gears and e lockers installed front and rear.
Slee front bumper, 4x4 labs rear bumper, sliders
J spring 2.5 lift. L shocks

Needs 1 window regulator $6800

Cruiser 2
94 191000 miles
Factory e lockers
Ome 2.5 inch lift

Leather is rough and carpet has been removed $4500
From this information which one is the better deal
The bodies look equally good . The price of the 94 leaves enough in my pocket to catch up on the add ons.

They are 250 miles from me in opposite directions.
I guess a better question is which one to look at first?

I'd buy the one that looks to have the most maintenance records and oem parts. if you can afford either throw the prices out the window. Non factor. Pick the one that would be the most reliable for the longest time right now. Build on that. As far as recouping the cost of those goodies....I dunno. If it's done right you may find that work adds up quick quick quick. Even doing it yourself. Where are they from? History reports? A lot more info is needed. But trust your gut. Listen to your inner grandpa and buy the one that is most responsible and not the coolest in the sig line. Good luck and congrats!

92 has a very clean cloth interior
The leather in the 94 is cracked and carpet is completely gone.
I sort of had my mind made up to buy the 92 but after more reading am wondering if the 1fz makes the 94 the better pick.

If there both equal the 92 Is my choice. 2500. maybe 3000. In mods, bumpers L-shocks. Fresh engine Is worth a considerable amount, good Interior. All new leather Is a grand plus. Without seeing or driving and reading the history I have to consider them both desent rigs. If thats the case 92 Is a better deal. :) Good luck.!!

Is it ok to post craigslist links the 92 has a couple of things listed that are Greek to me.

There are several men on this site that would take a rebuilt 3FE over a near 200K 1FZ hands down. I would lean to that as well. A well done rebuild should be close to a new motor.

I have seen C list links here before.

The motor question is all preference. Power vs. no HG paranoia! Ha! The 92 is mighty popular. See if you can badger the sellers for more info. This is a good problem to have though. I enjoy the build on a vehicle so I'm not into buying one that's ready... Even if I was loaded. I would start from scratch. That's just me though.

Look, I have been buying cars for some time now. Vehicle no. 1 The man cared enough to mod his rig, and rebuild the engine and take care of the Interior. Vehicle no. 2 The man doesan't care about the Interior or If it has carpet. There Is a lot that was just said here when considering a choice In rigs. Owners matter a lot. !! ;) Good Luck..!

But the 92 before I do!

IMHO the 3FE is the perfect gas motor for an 80 series. It is bombproof. I purchased mine new in 1992 and can list the things I've had to replace in 23 years.

AC Compressor (just replaced)
Getting ready to replace the starter
Radiator (at 18 years)
Replaced the water pump when I replaced the radiator as a "while I'm in there". It was running fine.
Thermostat

Usual maintenance. Plugs, wires, battery, tires, shocks.

I have no paranoia about my head gasket blowing. It just freaking runs. Yes, it doesn't have the horsepower that the 1FZ-FE has. But make no mistake the 1FZ-FE is no speed demon.

I will only buy 3FE powered 80s. They are simple motors that anyone can work on. Just ask my 14 year old.

You say both bodies are similar but you don't give an indication of the overall condition, paint etc. Is that important to you or do you intend to monster line or similar?
What is the tire size and conditon and does that match your intended use. For those prices I won't want to be replacing those anytime soon.
The 94 seems to be over priced given the condition of the interior. Carpeting and seat cover replacement can get spendy.
I like the bumpers, gears and axles on the 92. That can easily make the prices equal if you want to add them to the 94.
What about mainteance records? Has the 94 had the head gasket replaced? What is the condition of the front axle and birfields on each?
What I don't like with the 92 is the "cam" and the headers. Normally don't see those changes on the 3FE. In the distant past headers have melted the gas pedal linkage on the 3FE. Obviously those changes were made to increase performance. Why would someone make that kind of investment and then turnaround and sell a short time later? May be there was problems or it still was a slug. Have you test driven other vehicles so you know what to expect with the two diffent engines?

The headers would need to go. For sure. The cam...I'd change when you get to it. It isn't giving you any noticeable increase in HP so I'd change it when you can.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
But the 92 before I do!

IMHO the 3FE is the perfect gas motor for an 80 series. It is bombproof. I purchased mine new in 1992 and can list the things I've had to replace in 23 years.

AC Compressor (just replaced)
Getting ready to replace the starter
Radiator (at 18 years)
Replaced the water pump when I replaced the radiator as a "while I'm in there". It was running fine.
Thermostat

Usual maintenance. Plugs, wires, battery, tires, shocks.

I have no paranoia about my head gasket blowing. It just freaking runs. Yes, it doesn't have the horsepower that the 1FZ-FE has. But make no mistake the 1FZ-FE is no speed demon.

I will only buy 3FE powered 80s. They are simple motors that anyone can work on. Just ask my 14 year old.

I was waiting for @LS1FJ40 to show up about the 92!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I was waiting for @LS1FJ40 to show up about the 92!

I'm always around. Waiting to tell everyone how great the 3FE is.

I need to shut my mouth though. I'm trying to find another 92 and people are catching on!! :flipoff2:

Yea. I'd love a 92.... I love my 96 but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about finding a 92. That's a bulletproof motor for sure. The 1FZ-FE is still a great product. Still make bottom ends too. But......

I have some more information
The head gasket and heater hose have been repaired on the 94 he also has oem covers for the front seats.
The carpet being gone doesn't bother me much because I work in cattle pens and in the woods logging and carpet is usually replaced by spray in liner in most things I own. I know it makes for more noise and heat but carpet is not conducive to my lifestyle. He says the front end was gone through last year with fresh grease and new wipers and seals.

The 92 has a big booger behind right front wheel that came before sliders were put on. It has several things done that concern me, maybe they shouldn't .
Split second Maf conversion?
Cam and header. Cam doesn't really bother me but i have never had good luck with headers.
The lockers being added rather than factor make me worry about wiring nightmares. I am a heavy equipment mechanic and usually balk on electrical problems if someone else has "fixed it" before me.

Are there any advantages to one dive train over the other? Transmission transfer case?

If the HG and HH were done properly that's a big big plus. If it's clean and the PO cared as much for it as some other posters seem to think than they probably were. There are people who do it right out there. Seems like your leaning towards the 94. I think the train is gonna be a wash but wait to hear from 3FE owners about any ratio advantages or things I don't know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom