FJC lefty transfer case. Whos running one? Who wants to? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious if any members are running the Lefty t-case . Also I heard a rumor going around that they had been discontinued. That is not true. We did run out for awhile and it took some time to get the new batch machined , but now we have plenty of Lefty Adapters.

The marlin parts are on back order but we can build the Lefty with trail gear 4.7s and RCV mainshaft/rear output

Inchworm Gear Built Lefty™ – Left Hand Drop Geared Transfer Case (TCASE-IW-600-01)

I've been running one one since 2007 or '08, have almost 150,000 miles on the Lefty (more on the truck). It's a ton of fun on a technical trail. My only (minor) complaint after all these years and miles is that the front driveshaft seal doesn't last very long before it starts leaking. The Marlin Crawler heavy duty "Eco" seal in there now has lasted longer than anything else but it's starting to leak a little now too.

I've been running one one since 2007 or '08, have almost 150,000 miles on the Lefty (more on the truck). It's a ton of fun on a technical trail. My only (minor) complaint after all these years and miles is that the front driveshaft seal doesn't last very long before it starts leaking. The Marlin Crawler heavy duty "Eco" seal in there now has lasted longer than anything else but it's starting to leak a little now too.

that's interesting. I wonder why it doesn't seem to be an issue on the Toyota mini truck cases (its the same seal) Next time you have it off lets see a picture of your flange maybe the seal surface is worn out? How long are the seals lasting?

that's interesting. I wonder why it doesn't seem to be an issue on the Toyota mini truck cases (its the same seal) Next time you have it off lets see a picture of your flange maybe the seal surface is worn out? How long are the seals lasting?

Depends on how much I engage 4WD of course, but if I use it much at all it starts a small drip fairly soon. I don't remember the seal surface looking rough or worn last time, but will check it carefully next time. Since it only drips when the front drive shaft is engaged, I let it go a while before dropping the front shaft to replace the seal. It doesn't leak enough for the gear lube level to go down noticeably, just enough to drip on on my (re-routed) exhaust and smoke and smell. A nuisance more than anything.

oh gotcha.. before you take the flange off pull on it.. it could be worn bearing. I can't remember how the hubs on a fjc work .. I was thinking that they were engaged all the time and the front drive line always spun even when in 2wd

oh gotcha.. before you take the flange off pull on it.. it could be worn bearing.

Will do.

I can't remember how the hubs on a fjc work .. I was thinking that they were engaged all the time and the front drive line always spun even when in 2wd

Stock manual-transmission FJC's are full-time 4WD so the front drive shaft always turns, but once you install the Lefty they become part-time (selectable) 4WD just like the stock auto transmission FJC. The Lefty only turns the front drive shaft when 4WD is shifted/engaged.

Even the auto-tranny models don't have lockable hubs though; instead they have a sliding cogged sleeve on the driver's side of the front diff that connects the driver's side front CV half-shaft to the diff. The passenger-side CV/half shaft is always connected and turns with the diff. A goofy system that Toyota invented for people who are too lazy or stupid to get out of the truck and lock two hubs. :) But it does allow shifting into 4WD on the fly.

Last edited:
Close @1911. The ADD actuator motor and splined collar is on the passenger side.

This design also keeps the gears in the front diff constantly lubricated by turning all the time. The only thing that doesn't turn in 2WD is the connecting collar shaft just to the passenger side of the diff. The downside is this turns the front propeller shaft too and this all creates extra drag on the moving vehicle. Constant wear on all associated bearings/seals is another drawback. It's a convenience I'm comfortable with though.

Will do.

Stock manual-transmission FJC's are full-time 4WD so the front drive shaft always turns, but once you install the Lefty they become part-time (selectable) 4WD just like the stock auto transmission FJC. The Lefty only turns the front drive shaft when 4WD is shifted/engaged.

Even the auto-tranny models don't have lockable hubs though; instead they have a sliding cogged sleeve on the driver's side of the front diff that connects the driver's side front CV half-shaft to the diff. The passenger-side CV/half shaft is always connected and turns with the diff. A goofy system that Toyota invented for people who are too lazy or stupid to get out of the truck and lock two hubs. :) But it does allow shifting into 4WD on the fly.

oh yeah I should have known they were like that.. My tow rig cummins is like that.. Had issue with the vacuum lines and actuator. So I installed a cable, it's nice and allows me to use 2wheed drive low

Close @1911. The ADD actuator motor and splined collar is on the passenger side.

Yeah, you're right Rick. I forgot that the actuator is on the passenger side of the diff (as the diff is offset pretty far to driver's side).

oh yeah I should have known they were like that.. My tow rig cummins is like that.. Had issue with the vacuum lines and actuator. So I installed a cable, it's nice and allows me to use 2wheed drive low

My ADD actuator has failed two or three times; the next time it does, I'm just going to manually set the sleeve to the engaged position, move the shift fork and motor so as to keep it there, and close it back up. I'm tired of fixing it. The design of the motor power contacts is poor, and the vent allows water into the housing and corrodes the motor and/or contacts. But a cable is not a bad idea.

I have a lefty on my Workbench right now waiting to go in. Bud Built is behind right now & should have my Tummy Tuck cross member done in a few days so i can do everything at once when i install it. Cant wait to get it in & test it

I have a lefty on my Workbench right now waiting to go in. Bud Built is behind right now & should have my Tummy Tuck cross member done in a few days so i can do everything at once when i install it. Cant wait to get it in & test it

Just remember to pause between shifts of the transmission. You can no longer go right from Drive to Park!!! Especially if in 4L.
You are going to luv "Massaging your tunnel with a BFH".

I'm currently in the "planning to do the Lefty" stage. What advice does everyone have as far as the actual install? I have a '13 6MT.

I'm currently in the "planning to do the Lefty" stage. What advice does everyone have as far as the actual install? I have a '13 6MT.

Give yourself plenty of time to do it, don't be rushed. A whole weekend if possible, or do it in stages. Be patient and do everything right.

A cheap transmission jack from Northern Tool or Horrible Fright will make the job much easier. Lefty weighs about 90 lbs. IIRC and it is way easier to stab it straight and line up all the bolts with the fine adjustments of a transmission jack. I would say it is almost a necessity if you are doing the job by yourself.

A two or four-post car lift would be nice to do the work; failing that put your truck up on four good heavy jack stands. The higher you can get it off the ground, the easier it will be to work on.

Be careful with the steel bolts that thread into the aluminum adapter plate; it's relatively easy to get them cross-threaded and/or strip the threads.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
Put mine in by myself this week & two people would have been so nice for the mating of it to the tranny. Used a tranny jack . Havent driven it yet & still have a little bit to do

Now completely done . Have done some testing and love it. Going to the Ozarks next month for a full test. Then going to install the tummy tuck next .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom