Knuckle Oil Leak after rebuild? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@TheMindofJ

Starting to look a bit more like a leaking axle shaft seal.
What does the leakage smell like?

Also, hard to tell from that photo but it almost appears that the gap between the knuckle and the steering arm is wider than it should be?? Are all the stud nuts still tight? Did you completely clean off those mating surfaces (rust, dirt) before reassembly, reuse the original shim, condition of that shim, ??

Could you clean that area off well (maybe use an aerosol can of Brake cleaner, wear eye protection) including the studs, nuts, and mating surfaces between the bottom of the knuckle and the steering arm. Then post up another photo.

Last edited:
@TheMindofJ

Starting to look a bit more like a leaking axle shaft seal.
What does the leakage smell like?

Also, hard to tell from that photo but it almost appears that the gap between the knuckle and the steering arm is wider than it should be?? Are all the stud nuts still tight? Did you completely clean off those mating surfaces (rust, dirt) before reassembly, reuse the original shim, condition of that shim, ??

Could you clean that area off well (maybe use an aerosol can of Brake cleaner, wear eye protection) including the studs, nuts, and mating surfaces between the bottom of the knuckle and the steering arm. Then post up another photo.
The leakage doesn’t really smell like anything. I will used new shims, but the same amount of them, brand new. Will double check the assembly.

Clean the wet area off well and recheck, post up another photo. Gear oil has a pungent unmistakeable strong odor, oil bleeding out of grease generally has very little odor.

Pop the square plug on top of the birf housing and look inside for soup, my birfs look similar with no gear oil mixing just oil separating from the birf grease. Maybe also pop off the diff drain plug and dip a something in there and check the clarity of the oil to make sure no grease/diff oil is mixing there as well.

You said you did the rebuild yourself. Did you check the axle shaft for wear where the seal rides? Mine is so bad you can actually see the groove. This might be causing diff oil to get through the seal. You'd also get goop in your diff as grease gets in there. But if this was the case, your felt would probably be pretty wet.

You said you did the rebuild yourself. Did you check the axle shaft for wear where the seal rides? Mine is so bad you can actually see the groove. This might be causing diff oil to get through the seal. You'd also get goop in your diff as grease gets in there. But if this was the case, your felt would probably be pretty wet.
i think this might be the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom