I need the "Wait, before you buy..." tips. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
I might buy a new or close-to-new 4Runner. I think (?) I want a TRD Off-Road Premium. But, that's based solely on "passive" info, i.e., me reading online. What I'm missing is the input from owners - "category-involved" owners - to say "Wait, don't buy ___. Just buy ___ and then buy the ___ aftermarket.. " Example: In 2007 I bought a new FJ Cruiser. Through the forum(s), we knew that all FJCs came with an e-locker - the wiring harness was attached to the back of dead button. $25 for a LOCKER button and boom - e-locker.
  • I have other trucks - a mostly sorta stock '06 100, a mildly (very) built '84 Pickup... so the 4Runner won't be the primary off-road toy. It will see some very light 'wheeling... very light.
  • I need (ha - need) leather and power seats and all the almost-Lexus stuff. So that seems like a Limited or TRD Off-Road Premium... I think.
  • As usual, 4Runners are holding their value, so there doesn't appear to be a big reason to buy a year or two old - that huge drop in most cars/trucks isn't there.

Any tips?
Thanks!

You can check the 3rd member easily for a locker actuator.

I just picked up mine today- so I’m a newb all over again.

My wife and I own a 23 TRD ORP and love it. I really love the manual shifter for H4/L4 vs the knob. The ORP has A-trac, E-locker, multi terrain select. The heated seats are amazing on long drives and the softex seats stay cool even in AZ summers.

The nice thing about the TRD ORP with having an e locker in the rear you only have to buy a front locker if you decide to go that route. East Coast Gear has some great deals when you re-gear the front and rear differentials, $5000 grand but that includes 4.56 gears, front locker, and core fees. Core fee for the rear is $1200, the front core is $400. The cost is higher due to having the Eaton E-locker installed too.

I am on the fence with going either 4.56 or 4.88. Need to do some research on which gears to go with.

Slight change of plans. I decided that a used 4Runner made sense - since I might buy a '25 Land Cruiser in 18-24 mo. I bought a 2020 Limited 4WD yesterday. I wanted all the Limited lux stuff but that came with those big 'ole 20s. Those may have to go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom