GX470 Power Steering Rack and Pinion (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would have personally added the GX460 rack to my rig if I had known it was an option.

Not saying it's bad, but you could buy a GX460 rack for less than half of just getting the base Toyo one and not have to ream spindles. It just requires the two mounting holes to be drilled out a bit bigger.

Do you happen to know what size the holes need to be drilled out to? And aside from the holes would this be a direct bolt on?

Would you have a recommendation for stronger tie rods that'd fit if I were to go this route?

This rig will eventually see 35s and will get used a quite a bit on trails so trying to replace parts with this in mind.

Thanks

The GX460 rack and tie rods are all bigger already, and when you order a rack from toyota/lexus you get new tie rods.

I used a 9/16 drill bit to open them up, and you want to buy two GX460/5th gen 4runner bolts and nuts to replace your old ones. The rest is direct bolt on. It's slightly harder to fit in as it's slightly bigger in most dimensions, but I did it in my driveway on jack stands without raising the motor.

If you want significantly stronger I think you have to look at doing a LC200 or Tundra rack. I don't really know the ins and outs there aside from more money and more things need changed.

Toyo also has a 5th gen rack with their LC tie rods that is another incremental improvement. I have heard a lot of people say only strengthening the ties rods a lot isn't the best idea as it will just move the failure to the rack, and at least a tie rod on the trail isn't that bad to do where a rack is bad (and who carries a spare rack.)

Last edited:
The GX460 rack and tie rods are all bigger already, and when you order a rack from toyota/lexus you get new tie rods.

I used a 9/16 drill bit to open them up, and you want to buy two GX460/5th gen 4runner bolts and nuts to replace your old ones. The rest is direct bolt on. It's slightly harder to fit in as it's slightly bigger in most dimensions, but I did it in my driveway on jack stands without raising the motor.

If you want significantly stronger I think you have to look at doing a LC200 or Tundra rack. I don't really know the ins and outs there aside from more money and more things need changed.

Toyo also has a 5th gen rack with their LC tie rods that is another incremental improvement. I have heard a lot of people say only strengthening the ties rods a lot isn't the best idea as it will just move the failure to the rack, and at least a tie rod on the trail isn't that bad to do where a rack is bad (and who carries a spare rack.)

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking about going this route. I also saw your write up on the swap, thanks for sharing.

How many miles have you put on the 460 rack? Any other issues to note?

Maybe 8000 miles, had it off road a bit including an off-road park. The ratio is slightly different but I adapted to the change within a couple days despite having this truck a decade.

My only issue that happened around the same time was the traction control sometimes beeped for a second when close to turning at lock and changing elevation sharply, but I know other people have had this happen too after various changes. I did a ZPC and it became much rarer and it doesn't cut power or anything drastic, it just is momentarily pissed off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom