Good News For Us With "Treated" Frames (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

N919HJ

SILVER Star
Threads
Last edited:
Thought I'd share this for those with rusty frames. Sounds like Toyota is throwing in the towel. I'm getting mine inspected for the second time tomorrow. I'll report back.

img_1483-jpg.2210514

Beware of CRC. Had my 2005 Tundra through their program. 2015
70000 odd miles on truck. Passed their no penetration test.
Frame had minimal rust on it, was still mostly black. In March they sprayed their coating on it.
In May it was flaking off from rust underneath the coating.
What was still on was still wet. If you touched it you got a hand full.
Outside of frame rail coating had failed completely revealing a nice pumpkin colored rust.
Took it back to dealer. Toyota would do nothing. Made calls for a month. Finally got a call back from a Toyota
case file rep. Was told in VERY BLUNT TERMS, because I had participated in the recall and the recall ended in May Toyota had no more obligation to me concerning my truck.
I tracked down the manufacturer of the coating and talked to their factory rep.
Was told Toyota did not follow recommended application. A waxy type spray was used in enclosed areas of the frame and an undercoating was sprayed on open surfaces.
Was told that if any rust was showing it should have been coated with the waxy coating, the undercoating is only used to protect the waxy coating. Undercoating was a water based product that customers should have been told not to get wet for month. Toyota also told the dealers to use all the product. Hence it never dried. Rep told me it should only have had enough on to cover otherwise it would not dry. On top of that Toyota speced a different manufacturer for the waxy coating.Rep told me this was for cost cutting.
The dealer agreed to power wash off the rest. Now I have a nice pumpkin colored frame.
Frame is solid, but has a powdery rust over the entire surface.

Mine was treated with CRC two years ago. Didn't work, now I have large holes. Still waiting to hear from Toyota Corp..

One thing to remember.
This was not a recall.
It was done as a service bulletin.
Toyota did this before the govt got involved so they could control the process to their benefit.

My gas tank dropped out of the truck a couple of weeks ago. The truck has been sitting at the dealer ever since. Frames are back ordered 45 days, give or take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom