Electric Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
meanwhile in Australia

Electric Landcruiser converted for Australian mining industry
fd4x4_ierland_oct_2016-1830-800x450.jpg

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2019.05.jpg

It's for a while.
My shop has made a bunch of radiator assembly machines for air car air conditioning, many of them are for Teslas for their A/C and for cooling batteries. I thought maybe the electronics or batteries needed a steady cooling air supply? I know a lot of airliners have to shut electronics down if they lose cooling fans on the ground.

My shop has made a bunch of radiator assembly machines for air car air conditioning, many of them are for Teslas for their A/C and for cooling batteries. I thought maybe the electronics or batteries needed a steady cooling air supply? I know a lot of airliners have to shut electronics down if they lose cooling fans on the ground.
I didn't realize we were getting all tech-y up in here.

I was just going to assume that the Cruiser was already equipped with a snorkel, being retrofitted to electric from an aspirated motor (either petrol or diesel).

For mine use, I would think to repurpose the snorkel to direct clean air into the cab.

Toyota Australia is already hinting at factory electric versions after the 7* series goes out of production in 3-4 years for all models.

lets be honest, I like idea of Electric land cruiser 7*

I honestly dont like it.
I might change my mind when an electric cruiser can go 1300klms without recharging/refuelling like my current HZJ75

What did they convert the electric Landcruiser to?

I honestly dont like it.
I might change my mind when an electric cruiser can go 1300klms without recharging/refuelling like my current HZJ75

Whoever can produce what would essentially be a solar panel “wrap” - or tintable paint for body panels that acts like solar panels will make a mint....

But I completely understand why you dislike this ‘as is’ - and rigid solar panels are always ugly mounted on vehicles.

Clearly wouldn’t work in the mining application vehicles as well.

I imagine electric trucks are in development at Toyota. I expect Rivian will be the first in the segment, maybe the best electric truck for a while, with over a billion dollars in backing from Ford and Amazon. It's been in development longer than any other EV truck design. They don't have the massive debt of Tesla and have the benefit of learning from all of Tesla's, BMW's, Nissan's, and GM's good and bad designs from Munro & Associates.

Last edited:
I do find this conversion very interesting. It's definitely limited on range, but it doesn't seem like an issue for the application. For reference, their top spec LC conversion offers 99 miles of range (160km).
The Rivian's top spec is targeting 400 miles.

Its probably ideal for the mining industry. A big part of their expenditure is servicing and maintaining vehicles. The electric motor wipes out a whole plethora of parts requirements . Australian mines are mainly in isolated areas and everything has to be transported inland from the coast or flown in when desperate.
Its biggest bonus is its emissions free, no exhaust gases underground. Generally they dont have to do a lot of miles, so recharging is not a problem. I expect one day they will be on a par with conventionally powered landcruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom