Considering a Sequoia for a family rig (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Concur with @Gold Boy here - that is a TON less money for the 08 that you could use towards repairs or wheels or whatever else you may want. Keep us posted

Personally, I would go with the 08 and take a gamble on the SAP, my 07 5.7 tundra SAP hasn't failed yet, but if it does there's a credible bypass kit.
The main deal maker for me is proven service history.
The other thing is exhaust manifold leaks and some oil leaks, somebody else can share more about those as my knowledge is limited... none of these issues has happened on my 07 tundra.

Edit, frame check for rust, really important.

2005-2008 are under rust recall. I can’t recall specifics but I remember something about sticking with 2011 and above.

Rust recall or not, it only matters if it has been in the salt. Take 30 seconds to look under the truck and make sure it is clean. We run a family of 5 and dog in a 2008 with 300k miles in the rust belt with zero rust issues. Preventative care goes a long way. It is a great family hauler!

Two 2nd gen Sequoias in my driveway: 2012 SR5 with 175K miles (personal) and 2019 Platinum (business truck) with 55K. Both 4WD. I can't recommend them enough for road trips, dog hauling and trailer towing. Only gripes:

The 2012 had issues with the air injection system. Solution was to install a bypass. So far so good.
The Platinum 3rd row power seat motor has issues. Too expensive to replace so I'm searching for an alternative solution. The SR5 will never have this issue. ;)

I have a 2020 Sequoia Platinum and looked forever for a LC200 but dollar for dollar I couldn't justify the extra $20K+ for the LC200 or LX570. Now that I've had the Sequoia for over a year, I don't think I could give up all of the interior space. I mean you can play baseball in the back with all of the seats folded down. Also, it's nice to be able to drive in 2wd and not always have it in AWD. It has me thinking of selling my LX470 and building up the Sequoia...... I don't think I'll do it but it does cross my mind now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom