Chains on front or not, plowing w/4x4 atv (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gus

SILVER Star
Threads
I've heard various opinions about whether or not one should run chains on the front tires of a 4x4 ATV while plowing; What are peoples thoughts, opinions or experiences with this. The machine is an 09 Suzuki King Quad 750 with 5' plow, the rear will be chained up. I like the idea of chains all the way around, but also don't want to stress the hell out of the front drivetrain.

Did it on the shop buggy whilst wrenching at the ski resort.

Zero problems. I say go for it. Make sure you check them from time to time; risk for damage is higher up front.

Happy plowing. :D

whats gonna happen ?

i run vbar chains front and rear on my polaris sportsman for 6-7 years now , pushes heavy wet snow up hill with them .

i like to do doughnuts in 4wd with the chains on as well and ram snowbanks .

i had to gusset up my 5' plow a lot, i kept breaking welds . not a cheap plow ether .

i have also herd not to use a planetery winch to lift the plow because the plow can shock the gears and break them if it goes up or down .

its been 6-7 years and mine is still doing great going off the warn .

we usually only get a few feet a year here but in the last place we would generally get a few feet a week .

i have had mine stuck enough in the snow plowing that i had to pull it out with a back hoe .

i think you will be just fine .

I've been plowing regularly this winter without the chains on the front, The light snow has fine but now as the snow hardens up I'm staring to notice the lack of traction. It's just a matter of time before chains are on all fours. That said I'm impressed with how well a quad pushes snow, A wider plow might be nice but all in all I'm happy with it.
Craptabulous, it's funny you mention beefing up the plow frame, that's exactly what I did and have heard of a few others doing. I have a 5' Moose plow set up, the factory welds, or lack there of, are a joke, I completely rewelded everything and gusseted it with 3/16" plate. I also have one of the large Moose drop-down rear racks on my quad, I reinforced that as well, once done it's been a great addition to the quad. I like the design of the Moose products but the craftsmanship is is pretty cheesy.

I've been plowing regularly this winter without the chains on the front, The light snow has fine but now as the snow hardens up I'm staring to notice the lack of traction. It's just a matter of time before chains are on all fours. That said I'm impressed with how well a quad pushes snow, A wider plow might be nice but all in all I'm happy with it.
Craptabulous, it's funny you mention beefing up the plow frame, that's exactly what I did and have heard of a few others doing. I have a 5' Moose plow set up, the factory welds, or lack there of, are a joke, I completely rewelded everything and gusseted it with 3/16" plate. I also have one of the large Moose drop-down rear racks on my quad, I reinforced that as well, once done it's been a great addition to the quad. I like the design of the Moose products but the craftsmanship is is pretty cheesy.

i have a 5' moose plow on my quad , it needed serious re-enforcement .and it is supposed to be the best plow to get .

i set mine up with remotes for the angle change so i didn't have to get off the quad to change the blade angle .

Where did you get the remote for controlling the angle of the plow, that would be cool.

Would you be willing to post up a couple pics of that set up, sounds cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom