Brakes/Turn Signal Light Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone. I've been working on a 1976 throughout the years. Finally got her running and it's been an amazing feeling to drive.
After sitting all winter, I'm starting this summer with a lighting electrical issue. I'm hoping those familiar may help with this.

Current symptoms:
- LEFT turn signal flashes once and stays solid.
-RIGHT turn signal on flashes, along with both brake lights and side marker lights.
-Hazards flashes both sides brake lights, signals, and side markers.

Brakes and reverse function just fine. It seems my right side have crossed with the brake lights and side markers.

Things I've done:
-all grounds on front and rear signal light assemblies. My rears are brand new from Texas Cruiser, so all bulbs are new. I've replaced a couple up front.

-my fuse panel all look good, but I haven't done any physical cleaning. All fuses/contact legs on the panel don't show any corrosion.

I've read about the hazard switch. Is this the main junction for all lights? Are there any other grounds I should look into?

I'm hoping someone has experienced this, or knows how to go about diagnosing this issue. Thanks in advance for any inputs.

I would double check the bulb elements. Flasher works on resistance, bulbs are good more resistance and flasher works, bad bulb and not enough resistance so flasher doesn't work.

Check your rear harness, my 76 had a bunch of fried wiring insulation but still worked mostly. Easy enough to check out.

Hi Everyone. I've been working on a 1976 throughout the years. Finally got her running and it's been an amazing feeling to drive.
After sitting all winter, I'm starting this summer with a lighting electrical issue. I'm hoping those familiar may help with this.

Current symptoms:
- LEFT turn signal flashes once and stays solid.
-RIGHT turn signal on flashes, along with both brake lights and side marker lights.
-Hazards flashes both sides brake lights, signals, and side markers.

Brakes and reverse function just fine. It seems my right side have crossed with the brake lights and side markers.

Things I've done:
-all grounds on front and rear signal light assemblies. My rears are brand new from Texas Cruiser, so all bulbs are new. I've replaced a couple up front.

-my fuse panel all look good, but I haven't done any physical cleaning. All fuses/contact legs on the panel don't show any corrosion.

I've read about the hazard switch. Is this the main junction for all lights? Are there any other grounds I should look into?

I'm hoping someone has experienced this, or knows how to go about diagnosing this issue. Thanks in advance for any inputs.
Sounds like your right tail light ground isn't connected?
Brake, tail, and side markers come on with the right flasher but not at full brightness?
Left might be a separate problem. Bulb wattage correct?

Thank you everyone for their tips and suggestions. I finally got most of the issues sorted out. I ended up extending some grounds out from the light assemblies. I also found some cracked wiring and some mess from the PO when a trailer plug was spliced into the rear harness.

The last issue is my turn signals, when used, blinks and stays on. Hazards work fine and flashes accordingly. Does the flasher have a 2 part set up in it, for Hazards and signals? Could my signals still be from a bad flasher unit?

The flasher and Hazards use the same flasher unit, and it relies on sufficient load from the bulbs. If a bulb is missing somewhere then that circuit will normally not flash.
The issue doesn't show up on your Hazards because the total load is much greater for both sides and a single bulb missing has much less impact.

Check all of the bulbs in the circuit that is not flashing.
Maybe one of them is the wrong wattage. Especially relevant if you fitted LED bulbs somewhere which draw much less current and therefore won't work unless you increase the load elsewhere
They should all be 21W I believe with the exception of the front side repeaters which are 5W (although actually I run 10W in these).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom