Body Sealant Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at the 40's rust between the rear quarter panel and rear wheel wheel where they meet up, it appears they were spot welded with body sealant in between. As I make repairs, I'm trying to keep it looking stock, but am wondering what a better way to seal this area to keep rust out would be. Any thoughts?

After you weld them to the rear quarters you need to use sealant on the seam unless you have a spot welder, i would seal them from the bottom anyway, i usually apply spray in bed liner over the joints and the sealer as well, just the rattle can sealer works great, it's like spray in rubber, make sure any rust is treated with phosphoric acid to convert it first, larry

I missed your call till this morning left the cell at work over the weekend, I can call tonight, Larry

Last edited:
When you say "rattle can sealer" are you referring to spray in bedliner or another product? Thanks.

Spray in Bedliner, I spray under the fenders and especially the seams, most of the paint stores have a rust converter, it's good for a precaution, just surface rust though, heavy rust needs to be wire wheeled a little first then use a good paint prep and a scuff padjust like paint to allow it to adhere to the metal under the fenders, I use duplicolor underneath and herculiner in the cab, but you may want to keep the metal inside. The duplicor liner sets up quick and dosen't run very much, so for the fender sides and the top of the fender well, it goes on fairly nice, Larry

Thanks, and what do you use for phosphoric acid?

violet flower fertilizer diluted works fine, or any rust converter has that acid as well check the label,, Larry

Any of the places like Home Depot should just look at the label on several fertalizers, most of them use phosporic acid as a major component in the fertalizer. BTW should be through Bozeman tomorrow morning and maybe later on Friday, Larry

I am getting ready to buy some seam glue. I was looking online and there are a million choices. I understand seam sealer isn't as strong as seam glue. Anyone know of a local place to find it in Bozeman in stock? The auto parts stores are saying they have to order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom