BJ40 Rear Turn Signal Not Working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a question concerning a turn signal issue on my 24V - 1983 BJ40. The left rear turn signal does not work. The left side dash turn signal indicator works….although it flashes very fast, unlike the right side turn indicator which flashes normally. The 24V bulb is fine. I tried a new 24V bulb and the signal still does not work. The 4 hazards work all the way around except the left rear bulb. The right side turn signals work fine - front and back. The left front turn signal works. Is it possible that the switch is bad on one side only? Could there be a ground problem? I believe the ground is ok since the hazards work and flash fine - with the exception of the left rear signal? Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I have a question concerning a turn signal issue on my 24V - 1983 BJ40. The left rear turn signal does not work. The left side dash turn signal indicator works….although it flashes very fast, unlike the right side turn indicator which flashes normally. The 24V bulb is fine. I tried a new 24V bulb and the signal still does not work. The 4 hazards work all the way around except the left rear bulb. The right side turn signals work fine - front and back. The left front turn signal works. Is it possible that the switch is bad on one side only? Could there be a ground problem? I believe the ground is ok since the hazards work and flash fine - with the exception of the left rear signal? Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Hi,

Did you try to clean off any corrosion inside the socket? It could also be a broken wire or even at the connection in the block connector.

ToyotaDyna

-------

Looking for a Diesel, LHD Land Cruiser?
Canarian Land Cruiser Exports

Hi,

Did you try to clean off any corrosion inside the socket? It could also be a broken wire or even at the connection in the block connector.

ToyotaDyna

-------

go to this link below ...

start at my initial thread post
i am 99.9% certain , your issue on the non-functioning rear 24V 1983 BJ40
i created this particular tech thread , way back when so on Holiday Tree Day Eve. 2023 , i could then gift it to a person like yourself .....:santa:

- after you pour over the entire thread to the last post # , PLEASE reply back here and let me know if this helped , the 12V & 24V , if my gut tells me , correct , is NOT your issue , so the TECH is same in kind ......fyi

enjoy ..... :)

matt

1703407545241.png

(A)1.1 - Copy1.png

Hi,

ToyotaDyna

-------

Yes I cleaned the socket which wasn’t that dirty or corroded. I’m guessing it might be a broken wire? The left front signal works so I believe there can’t be a grounding issue? Need to work on the light once it warms up a bit outside!

the lights ground in different spots.
if your LR brake and parking work, its likely not a ground and just a bad signal wire.
Thanks. So what’s the recommendation to resolve such an issue? Does the entire turn signal wire need to be replaced…..are they plug and play style connections? As I have not resolved such an issue before any insights would be useful! Appreciate the feedback……

Thanks. So what’s the recommendation to resolve such an issue? Does the entire turn signal wire need to be replaced…..are they plug and play style connections? As I have not resolved such an issue before any insights would be useful! Appreciate the feedback……
Do you have a cheap multimeter at hand? If not they are always good to have to test if the wire is ok

Also, plug in your whole light cluster from the opposite side to test your other cluster.

Here is the wiring diagram for the BJ40 from @Coolerman he is an expert on wiring for our 40's

LAND CRUISER (BJ40, BJ43 & HJ47 Series) ELECTRICAL WIRING ... http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/schematics/BJ42/bj42_wiringdiagram.pdf

ToyotaDyna

--------

Looking for a LHD, Diesel Land Cruiser?

Last edited:
the lights ground in different spots.
if your LR brake and parking work, its likely not a ground and just a bad signal wire.
Do you have a cheap multimeter at hand? If not they are always good to have to test if the wire is ok

Also, plug in your whole light cluster from the opposite side to test your other cluster.

Here is the wiring diagram for the BJ40 from @Coolerman he is an expert on wiring for our 40's

LAND CRUISER (BJ40, BJ43 & HJ47 Series) ELECTRICAL WIRING ... http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/schematics/BJ42/bj42_wiringdiagram.pdf

ToyotaDyna

--------

Looking for a LHD, Diesel Land Cruiser?

the bulbs / socket's color coded tracer stripe wires usually fracture / sever just inside the little black rubber tit grommet they enter on the back side ....fyi

carefully depress the locking tabs and separate the connector plugs , look for green corrosion , and or burned terminals too ....

always re-assemble using fully synthetic food service grade di-Electric grease , pressing plugs in and out apart a few times to spread the love around inside there

you have the oval 6-pin connector plugs right ?

s-l1600 (13).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom