bearing service??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Oh man, these full suspension bikes require a lot of love (kinda like the cruisers).

2006 Specialized FSR stumpy: Turns out that the rear suspension bearings are kind of bad design (small high velocity, s/b big low velocity). That means a bearing change out at least every year (I hear some every 2m or so). That is a $200-a-pop job at the dealer.

Sooo, anyone have a recommendation for an affordable bearing remover/installer gizmo?

Thanks in advance!

I have a bearing remover and installation tool and it does not work on all frames, and they can be expensive. A punch, a bench vise, and some sockets will work. Take your time and use some padding to cushion the frame parts.

Hi Tag3,

Yes, I am aware of the socket method. Kind of hesitant using it though as I don't want to screw up the frame.

I figured if I was going to be doing this regularly (like every year or more), I might as well entertain the correct tools. Can't stand taking to dealer as 90% time they don't know what they are doing (again, kind of like cruisers).

So, what kit do you have?

I have an older removal kit from the late 80's, early 90's. I would steer you toward a Wheels Manufacturing kit. Or try to get just the 2 or 3 that you need for the bike you have. Not sure if they sell individual or not though.

As for installation, the same Wheels kit from the 80's-90's. A bench vise with a socket is the easiest way to install the bearings in the small ends of the swing arm. A piece of threaded rod through the sockets to press the bearings into frames and other longer reach spaces works as well.

Yeah I would go with something like the Park Tools or Pedro's bearing install/removal kit that they sell. Pricey but worth the money for the extra security and what not.

For bearings, you might want to look at upgrading. Look for some enduro bearings from Real World Cycling as they have lots of premade kits to replace bearings but also sell them loose if you have something special. Check MTBR for other recommendations (go by the same handle there).

Hi Gregnash,

Looked at Park tools & pedros, but did not see a bearing R&R tool kit. Can you post the links?

Also hooked into MTBR.....Alta refugee....don't lurk/only posted a few times.

Huh I couldn't find them either and I was looking at the Park one at my LBS.... wonder if it only comes in the super mechanic sets or something.

Either way, any standard bearing removal too should work (slide hammer style) or you can just use a brass drift, screwdriver or whatever to remove them. To press them back in properly is when you "kinda" need a special tool. This is the cheapest I have been able to find.. http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-lube-tools-more/tools/bike-bearing-installer and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blind-Hole-...1083125759&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
Or there is always the DIY route for the install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom