AC clutch repair kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My AC clutch started locking today causing that awful belt screeching sound. The clutch only locks during compressor engagement.

Is there a clutch repair kit available for purchase?

Thanks.

Sounds more like you need a compressor. It’s fine until the clutch engages, so the clutch is working.
The clutch engages but it locks up (stops turning) and then the screeching begins.

With the engine turned off I can barely turn the clutch by hand so it’s clearly binding.

When you try to turn it by hand, your actually trying to turn the compressor. The clutch is engaging the belt to turn the compressor. When not engaged the A/C pulley is no more than a idler pulley.
Correct. The compressor pulley spins freely when the AC is off. The issue is that when the AC is turned on (Clutch is engaged) the clutch locks (does not spin) and prevents the compressor pulley from spinning.

Last edited:
I got it to work. I took the 3/4" nut off ( had to use the impact) and smacked the clutch a few time with a small hammer. I did not remove the clutch. The belt was also adjusted with more tension.

The AC is working great (for now). It's cooling extremely well.

Last edited:
AC started blowing an icy fog today at start up but it didn’t last very long. I tested the core temp and it was about 36-41 degrees colder than the outside temp.

I took the 40 out for a nice 15 mile city cruise and the AC worked great. The thermostat worked very well, shutting off/on when it reached the adjusted temp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom