62 series 5 spd gearbox strength - Engine swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this information has been discussed among the many who have contemplated an engine swap. If so then happy to be redirected. I have a 62 series 1989 GXL with 5 spd manual box behind the 3F petrol motor and planning to do an engine swap to an Isuzu 4JJ. Same as what I did with my beloved 75 series Troopie. However the Troopie I swapped out with the 4JJ D-Max Motor and gearbox and adapted into the TC. The 62 series however I want to adapt to the 62 series 5spd box. Not sure what model it is. If anyone has experience with the box and whether its strong enough for this sort of engine swap then would love to hear back.

I’m not familiar with those engines but the 5 speed was bolted to the Toyota 12HT turbo 6 cylinder Diesel engine. The 5 speed is equivalent in strength to the 4 speed — except when using 5th gear. The 5th gear runs through the countershaft to a relatively small drive gear.

Very nice thanks. 4JJ1 engine is rated at 380Nm @1800rpm and 12HT is 315 @1800rpm. That's close enough for me. Thanks for the added info about 5th gear. I recall reading something about that and there is an after market upgrade or something. Will do a bit of digging to refresh what its about. If you know more then would be keen to hear your thoughts. Also I haven't been able to workout how to identify the box model. I'm amusing its the H55F.

Last edited:
Transmission is H55f, mine has been behind a blown 3F-E since about 2007, doesn't make massive power, probably 40% over stock but makes 400+ nm to the tyres, on 35s, stock 4.11 gears. Don't load it up in 5th and you'll be fine.

I'm not aware of any upgrades for the H55, but there are 5th gear ratio changes available for R15# (you don't want one of these) and H15# (these are a strong box)

Transmission is H55f, mine has been behind a blown 3F-E since about 2007, doesn't make massive power, probably 40% over stock but makes 400+ nm to the tyres, on 35s, stock 4.11 gears. Don't load it up in 5th and you'll be fine.

I'm not aware of any upgrades for the H55, but there are 5th gear ratio changes available for R15# (you don't want one of these) and H15# (these are a strong box)
400Nm at the wheels is very serious. Nice to now the diff also puts up with that sort of torque. Thanks. Yes the 5th gear ratio change was what I was thinking about, total different box though. The mod I recall I made for the 70 was the input gear in the T/C. Replaced the gear/spacer combo with a single gear unit that incorporated the gear and spacer which improved the surface load contact on the gearbox output spline. The 70 gearbox output spline into the T/C was badly flogged out and I notice the 62 series T/C has the same design. There seems to be a modified T/C combo gear for that as well so will probably throw one in. Hopefully the output shaft of the H55F box is fine. Thanks heaps for your help. Can't beat practical experience, its where it all happens.

I'm sure this information has been discussed among the many who have contemplated an engine swap. If so then happy to be redirected. I have a 62 series 1989 GXL with 5 spd manual box behind the 3F petrol motor and planning to do an engine swap to an Isuzu 4JJ. Same as what I did with my beloved 75 series Troopie. However the Troopie I swapped out with the 4JJ D-Max Motor and gearbox and adapted into the TC. The 62 series however I want to adapt to the 62 series 5spd box. Not sure what model it is. If anyone has experience with the box and whether its strong enough for this sort of engine swap then would love to hear back.
If you do this swap please document it on here. My daily driver is an Isuzu MUX with a 4JJ1. I love that motor and regularly think to myself how awesome it would be to have a 4JJ1 in my 60.

Ok will open a new Build thread once I decide. The car needs some panel work and respray and love your "Total body off" option. It opens up access so much better and although its a longer journey, the end result is so much better. Great work. Certainly beats than crawling all over the floor and working upside down. The 4JJ totally transformed the Troopie performance for sure and although they are a bit of a noisy motor, they are very smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom