3F-E distributor cap vent lines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of what appears to be a timing cover leak on an '89 3F-E. I noticed an open nipple on the distributor cap and also noticed an open nipple on the air cleaner house (one of three-the other two have vacuum hoses running to engine.

There are two nipples (ports?) on the distro cap, tje larger one has a hose that runs to the firewall (inside cabin vent?). Should this other open nipple have a vacuum line running to the air cleaner housing? I've read about the need to vent the distributor cap so as to not get a buildup of gasses (ozone?) cause by the gap spark.

Bri

That's what I'm assuming-attached are pics of the distro cap nipple and the open nipple on the air cleaner housing. Should I just connect these?

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0024.jpeg

Hers is the way mine hook up with a splicer. I have an unconnected vacuum hose here. There are no hoses hooked up to the distributer cap. I used an oxygen air plastic hose temporarily from the air intake to the air idle because the rubber hose broke if at the intake middle section. Can’t find another center section. I have been trying to find leaks battling a high idle. If I squeeze this plastic tube the idle drops.

IMG_2011.jpeg

IMG_2012.jpeg

IMG_2013.jpeg

On the FJ60 2F engine distributor at least, the distributor cap doesn’t get active ventilation. When the engine is running, the manifold vacuum opens a valve that opens a passageway to the air cleaner housing.
No air is actively being flushed through the cap, it’s only passively open to atmosphere.
The air cleaner housing doesn’t have any vacuum so the cap is not being forcefully flushed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom