2015 4runner steering problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a 2015 4runner, have about 6000 miles on it now.

I put a 3" old man emu lift on it with bigger tires: 265/70/17 to 285/70/17

At highway speeds, I occasionally find myself having to concentrate and use two hands to control the vehicle. It particularly happens during wind gusts or mildly uneven pavement. Sometimes the white paint stripe on the road will rob some of my control. My alignment has been checked and is fine, my tires are balanced.

I'm not sure what to try next?

I've heard some of the Tacoma folks complain about this same behavior, although it's inconsistent (as you might expect). Your truck is basically brand new, so that should rule out worn parts for the most part. Some things to try/consider:

- What tires did you install and what PSI are you running? Tire balance and "roundness" can play a factor. So can higher PSI in the tires.
- Does it wander as much when you rotate the tires?
- Do you have any weight on the front of the truck (to help with ride height of the new springs)? Lifting the truck impacts caster, and weighting the rear can also. What was your caster number with the alignment and did they try to increase it?
- Did it wander before the lift?
- If you are not sure, can you go back to your dealer and try a similar truck without the modifications on the same stretch of road or windy conditions?

It's a high profile truck that you've lifted the COG on, so some wandering should be expected due to environmental factors. I'm not sure what you were driving before, and what your expectations are, but certainly there's a "seat of the pants" expectation and tolerance as well.

I've heard some of the Tacoma folks complain about this same behavior, although it's inconsistent (as you might expect). Your truck is basically brand new, so that should rule out worn parts for the most part. Some things to try/consider:

- What tires did you install and what PSI are you running? Tire balance and "roundness" can play a factor. So can higher PSI in the tires.
- Do you have any weight on the front of the truck (to help with ride height of the new springs)? Lifting the truck impacts caster, and weighting the rear can also. What was your caster number with the alignment and did they try to increase it?
- If you are not sure, can you go back to your dealer and try a similar truck without the modifications on the same stretch of road or windy conditions?

It's a high profile truck that you've lifted the COG on, so some wandering should be expected due to environmental factors. I'm not sure what you were driving before, and what your expectations are, but certainly there's a "seat of the pants" expectation and tolerance as well.

Sorry for the delayed response, been bogged down with the weather.
We had the 4runner stock for about a week before the upgrades, didn't notice it then.

I run 42psi all around on my Nitto terragrappler G2's, the tires are pretty new still, no changes with the last rotation. The truck doesn't really wander, just hard to control on uneven pavement or wind at highway speeds. We went out to big bend last week and I had a fair amount of weight with the family packed in, no changes in steering. I don't have a front bumper...yet. I'm going to check into the caster...I'll reply back with the results.

@4runnercamper i had the exact same effects after i lifted my vehicle for over a year.. a few months ago i finally replaced my UCA with adjustable Light Racing ones and i had the tech set my caster to 4.2 and now the vehicle rides great on the highway. Infact i just got back from a 1400 mile road trip and it did great!

PS if you feel the ride is too harsh try lowering your pressure in your tires.. i normally run them at 35 psi.. for my recent long haul i bumped them up to 50psi to help with rolling resistance and it did help.. but it sure as heck was a harsh ride

Depends what your caster is set at. You want at least 3 degrees. Think of it like a bicycle. If you have little to no caster, you are trying to right a bike with straight up and down front forks. Want to turn everywhichway. By adding caster you increase that angle and it will want to track straighter. If they cannot get you enough caster with the new lift and your OEM LCAs, (OEM UCAs are not adjustable) then you will want to get some aftermarket UCAs. A prelimilary step may be to drop some air pressure. On my FJ, I am running 37# as any more it gets squirrely since I know I dont have quite enough caster (my LCA cams are siezed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom