1FZFE valve shims and stem seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI, just wondering if anyone has completed a valve stem seal replacement on the 1FZFE engine with the head on? I have made a tool to get compressed air into the cylinders (keep the valves up) but still working on ideas for a tool (gadget) to compress the springs so I can relase the collets. This is a bit more of a challenge on these engines as the valves are resessed into the head.
Work so far - Cams are off, valve shim sizing complete and ready to order new shims, compression test ok - 150 to 170. So far no probs apart from the lack of information on the 1fzfe head.
The reason I started this work was excessive smoke on start up after travelling long distances and oil consumtion higher when towing my caravan. Engine has 214K on the clock and was running fine.

if you have the cams out, you are awfully close to pulling the head, might as well while you are in there.:D

Then you can sleep at night without head gasket worries.

Hey Dusty, did you have a off the shelf valve spring compressor or was it home made?

Are head gaskets an issue on these engines? what is the reccomended Km to change?

Are head gaskets an issue on these engines? what is the reccomended Km to change?

They are in this market but aparently not so much in yours. We have not been able to concretely determine why here and not there but EGR could possibly contribute to ours failing (yours are not equipped with EGR).

Anywhere after 100,000 miles is possible. The majority I am aware of are between 125,000 miles and 200,000 miles.

Ok thanks, I have always run coolant in the rad and the engine has never overheated, but I can't speak for the previous owners. I have had the 80 for 3 years now and it has been a great rig. if I have any big issues removing the springs to-day, I guess it's off with the head

SCH91400_lg.jpg
i use one of these when i do valve stem seals on the car without removing the head.

Shop Tools

SCH91400_lg.jpg
i use one of these when i do valve stem seals on the car without removing the head.

Shop Tools
Thanks that looks like a good product - have managed to knock up something in the shed, so far so good although number 6 back inlet and exhaust look like the challenge.

Some pics of the work so far -
Tool works great for getting collets out, valve stem seals were a little tricky, but managed to get them off ok.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom