Poll:Have you had the TPS problem? (1 Viewer)

Have you had the TPS problem?

• Yes

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 62.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for the double post, I couldn't edit my old one.

94k and no TPS problems.

120,000 miles no TPS problems (the last 70k has been supercharged)

99 - 100 Series

98 at 72k and no TPS problem

UPDATE - did experience the TPS problem 2x shortly after the original post. Both times in cold weather (~15-20 degrees), went into limp mode and no problem after a restart. CEL set and cleared within 20 miles.

I did nothing to fix the problem and it has not repeated. Now at 100k and a year later.

UPDATE - (2/2/07) at 102k - another TPS problem - limp mode 10 seconds after start up in 9 degree weather - set the CEL - turned off and restarted no more problems - CEL out after 20 minutes of driving - At this point I will do nothing and see if I can go another 30k without issues

UPDATE - 12/14/2009 - No new issues to 146k.

Last edited:
not on the LX or the LC.

calamaridog said:
No. TPS is only $70 so I would prefer that problem to many others.
I believe there are two sensors that can go wrong. One part is $70 and the other is $2XX. Slee's newbie guide says it affects 98-99 models. Not sure if later models are effected as well.

Last edited:
I never replaced it as it has not re-occured. The code was p121 I think, TPS sensor. Can't seem to get a concensus if the sensor is really the problem or not. Some say it could actually be other things although why it would show a TPS code I have no idea. The part is cheap but you need to calibrate it with a tool I don't have, so I didn't just go ahead and replace it, and I didn't want to spend $250 or so to pay someone to replace it if that wasn't really the problem. I have a hunch the problem is moisture getting into the electrical connectors either on the TPS or another sensor that works with the TPS. Changing the sensor would not fix the problem if that is the case.

99 LC 143,500 miles.

TPS problem just started. Has gone into limp mode twice in 1 month. Cleaned the TB twice. One more limp mode and replacing both sensors.

No TPS problem for 99K, but my exhaust manifolds both cracked at 60K and my starter died at 90K! Like Calamari said, I would rather have the TPS problem then many others...

Not TPS but I did have the APPS problem (the more expensive sensor of course).

Wife experienced the limp mode on Friday. Fortunately she was near the dealership and called me. They ran the code and said I needed a new TSP ($190), $240 installed I think.

I had them order the part since they didn't have one on hand, though I'm not sure if I'll wait. It is the wifes truck so I hate to have her and the girls stranded somewhere.

Lets see. Last 20 months, there has been the timing belt, ALL 8 ignition coils, a windshield, front and rear brakes, and now this. 110K miles on a 99 UZJ.

Over the same 20 months, there as been only a leaking p.s. pump on the 80, with 220K.

And the wife wonders why I want to keep the 80.

All 8 ignition coils? What's the story there?

All 8 ignition coils? What's the story there?

First one went out this past August. The second went out in November. With a quarter of the coils failing within three months of the other, I decided to bite the bullet.

"Lets see. Last 20 months, there has been the timing belt, ALL 8 ignition coils, a windshield, front and rear brakes, and now this. 110K miles on a 99 UZJ."

Um, everything but the coils seems like normal PM due around 100k. Windshield is just bad luck.

Windshield is an annual replacement here in northern Colorado.

Tell me about it...it really sucks! However, it's not the truck's fault...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom