Any modified F shock-tower installation pics out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone modified/removed the angle from there Ftowers?
Just wondering if straightening the Ftowers would be desirable?

My shock towers may have to be extended to accommodate the taller bilsteins :D

thanks,
manny 72fj40

I've got pics at home of a fres install on Ford Shock towers if thats what your talking about. Not much too it, just welded tothe frame.

Since the stock cruiser mounts are pretty much straight UP, I was wondering if straightening the Ftowers would be desirable?

any ideas?

thanks,
manny 72fj40

After straightening my Ftowers, I was able to weld them onto the frame with practically NO trimming of the inner fj fenders.
The Drivers-side required 1/2"

manny 72fj40
tower1.jpg

filled in w/welder :D
tower2.jpg

bilstein 12" 5125's
tower3.jpg

passenger side
tower4.jpg

detail on towers:
Ford Shock - Bracket Upper - F250, 4wd 1987 - 1991

Item Number MSRP Price
E5TZ18183A $13.15 $10.52

Available online if you don't have a local ford dealer:
http://varsitylincmerc.com/parts.html#

Last edited:
Nice! How do like the feel of new shocks? I'm looking to do that too. Are those the 12" bilstein shock? How much lift do you have?

I don't have a RTI ramp to measure my exact shock lenght. I'm running SO with stock springs, with some simple measurements, I figured I can run 12" shocks fine, but with straight up ford tower like you, I wonder if the 14" would fit in the front.

Thanks.

/td

I haven't tried them yet, still have stuff on my list to do (sliders, diff-ring, aussie locker, etc...)
With my SR and rancho springs, I think I'm close to 4" up front.

Have you measured your compression/extension lengths?
I would imagine a SO setup could easily accommodate 14" bilsteins...

manny 72fj40
side.jpg

Mr Manny, I am wondering from the photos how straightening the shock tower would affect the clearance of a stock drag link, which passes between the shock and the frame. It does not look to me like it would fit.

65swb45 said:
Mr Manny, I am wondering from the photos how straightening the shock tower would affect the clearance of a stock drag link, which passes between the shock and the frame. It does not look to me like it would fit.

The drivers-side did need approx. 1/2" trimmed from the top, as the drivers side tower isn't completely straight.

This way you will continue to maintain stock clearance against drag-link.

hope this helps,
manny 72fj40

The drivers-side did need approx. 1/2" trimmed from the top, as the drivers side tower isn't completely straight.

This way you will continue to maintain stock clearance against drag-link.

hope this helps,
manny 72fj40

Do you have any pictures of the clearance of the drag link?

With the Holidays, Weather and few new xmas toys...I have been distracted.
pics this weekend, if not sooner :D
sorry for the delay.

Do you have any pictures of the clearance of the drag link?

I experienced a draglink clearance issue after lifting my 45, which has the same front shock towers. I ended up cutting the lower shock mount off of the axle, using half of a shackle plate to extend the shock bolt about an inch higher, and outboarded it about half an inch closer to the knuckle.

Now I have a good 1/4" clearance to draglink with tires pointed straight ahead, and more than 1/2 inch with tires turned.

Hth

Mark A.

MR Manny...
What size BFGs are on those stock wheels? Hoping to Lift the FJ55 soon and that might look pretty good with my hub caps...

scouthead,
They work great - 33x10.5R15 BFG MTs
mounted on disc brake cruiser wheels...I believe disc brake wheels have a different offset then drum brake wheels?

But after Rubithon last year, I'm beginning to think 33s are too small :(

77cruizer,
Sorry for the delay...but here are the pics.
hny,
manny

full right:
sm-733.jpg

sm-734.jpg

straight:
sm-735.jpg

sm-736.jpg

full left:
sm-737.jpg

as you can see about 1/4 inch of trimming was necessary on inner fender:
sm-738.jpg

notice, passenger side inner-fender did not need ANY trimming:
sm-739.jpg

Thanks manny that showed me exactly what I needed to know

is it possible to be able to pot the Ford shock tower in on the drivers side and not cut inner fender like you did on the passenger side????

The reason I had to trim the drivers-side was due to the stock relay-rod...or is it called the drag-link?

You can't really tell from the pics, but the drivers-side shock-tower does have a small angle.
The angle returned the same amount of clearance between the shock and the rod as it had originally.

One day I'll go PS, and remove the rod...and will prob. leave the drivers-side tower the way it is :p

hth,
manny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom