URGENT - PLS HELP (slip indicator light!!!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

Apologies for the urgency of the title - but I could do with some advice before Toyota fob us off again tomorrow...

Car went in 2 days ago to have the steering wheel centred and wheels aligned - and to have the engine light reset (had picked up a p0133 OX) error.

Now, on several occasions since, when travelling above 40, the slip indicator light has come on and the car has veered to the left requiring an immediate break to correct.

Phoned Toyota and they say that they have no idea what the cause is but that it is completely unconnected with anything they may have done!

I don't want them to blow us off tomorrow as this is very very dangerous and could cause a serious accident.

Any idea what pointers I could give them as ideas - they don't seem the brightest or most willing tools in the box when it comes to lateral thinking ... and I doubt the'll take the car out on the road for a spin at high speed.

Thanks ever so - and apologies again for all the urgent tagging,
Sword

why did the wheel need to be centered and the alignment done? this I have a feeling is a possible root of the problem you are now having. these rigs just don't go out of alignment out of center for no reason

the steering wheel was 20 degrees or so off when we got it. I reckon that they may not have reset the steering whel - but actualy alligned the wheels to be straight with the stering wheel centred.. does that make any sense?

if so, it could we'll cause probs with binding whhie turning etc.

s

Was it in an accident prior to purchasing? Sounds quite strange. I had new tires put on my F-350 one time and they gave it back w/an angled wheel which was easily corrected. I would drop it off until it's done, emergency braking to correct direction isn't something I would want to be driving.

no accident - we got it from a yota dealership...

s

Sword, you need to take it back and tell them to "perform a zero point calibration for the yaw rate sensor and steering angle sensor." If they aligned the truck and changed the steering wheel orientation the sensor is now out of calibration. This procedure should be performed anytime an aligment is performed on a vsc equipped vehicle. Unfortunately you need to have a scan tool to do it.

In a nutshell here is what is happening. They changed the orientation of the steering wheel. Old position was 0%, new position is 15%, add the 15% to however much you are turning the wheel, say another 15% and the computer thinks you are turning 30% at high speed and then activates the vsc because it thinks you need help. Recalibrating you are just resetting centered steering wheel to 0%.

I have driven cars/trucks that have done this and when it happens it scares the shi* out of you.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck trying to explain this to the dealer.

ben

Wow Ben, that is top notch advice!!!

That seems to me a very logical solution. Sword i hope you get it fixed ASAP! Best of luck to ya mate!

Great help, Ben! I bet Sword will be getting a star by his name soon. ;)

Good call Ben! :beer: But sounds fishy that the steering wheel was off in the first place.

Ben, well done - you were right.

However, dunno if they would have found this as I phoned them before wifey arrived to tell them what the prob was - and also sent a letter with your instructions!

But get this - wifey says that when she asked about why the car kept almost crashing, she was told "oh don't worry, these things just happen some time".

And to cap it all, the steering wheel is now 15 degrees out in the opposite direction !!!!!

I'm not one for complaining and I certainly don't want a witch-hunt, but this is beyond! My wife could have been killed because of their error and nobody seemed to care a jot.

Thing is, we took it in with an accurately described prob - and they sent it out to a local garage for an alighment and then gave it back to us. The reason we go to Toyota instead of a local garage in the first place is because we expect a higher level of technical competence!

Should I write a letter to the bloke in charge of the dealership, or Toyota directly - or both?

If Toyota, where on earth should I write to?

Thanks again Ben,
Sword

Ben, well done - you were right.
(...)
Should I write a letter to the bloke in charge of the dealership, or Toyota directly - or both?

If Toyota, where on earth should I write to?

Thanks again Ben,
Sword

Sword, I would do so. Such laziness in service is simply not acceptable. The dealer will probably file your letter directly into the trash bin. Try to find a Customer Service contact in Toyota UK, complaining directly to the manufaturer about bad dealer service usually makes wonders.

Sword, I would do so. Such laziness in service is simply not acceptable. The dealer will probably file your letter directly into the trash bin. Try to find a Customer Service contact in Toyota UK, complaining directly to the manufaturer about bad dealer service usually makes wonders.

Absolutely. If necessary, you may want to consider having a lawyer (barrister?) friend help you with your letter. Putting you and your wife on the road in a dangerous vehicle is absolutely unacceptable.

Cheers,
Jay

The dealer doesn't have their own alignment machine? Last time I had an alignment done at a tire shop on my '86, their alignment almost killed me! They failed to torque the caster bolts properly, so when I hit a seam in the freeway overpass at 70mph, the vehicle lurched hard to the left. I had to drive all the way home on the freeway w/ the wheel turned 45 deg left to keep the rig straight (tire shop had closed for the night...BTW, this was Big-O tires). I had the toyota dealer right next door to Toyota USA headquarters do it...right on the money the first time, just like before the lift was installed.

How about taking it to a Lexus dealer?

Sword, did this fix your issue?

There is also an encoder built into the steering rack I believe. When the rack becomes worn, what you described can also happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom