2 week counterclockwise trip around California (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

perrobravo

SILVER Star
Threads
Just returned from our annual family camping trip, this time a loosely counterclockwise trip around California, starting (and ending of course) in San Diego.

Total miles: 1,260
Days: 14
Temperatures: Low 50F, High 106F
Interesting animals spotted: Bear, bald eagles, elk, whales, mosquitos x 1,000,000

Loaded up the 100 with a bunch of stuff. Am always pleasantly surprised at how the truck seems to come alive with all the weight.
RT15Loaded.jpg

Found Laurel Lakes completely empty so had time for some poser flexing shots before setting up camp.
RT15Flexing.jpg

Came across this 4Runner which apparently missed a turn somewhere up above. Ouch.
RT154Runner.jpg

Camped somewhere along the way north and got to test out the new Snow Peak stove. Awesome.
RT15Stove.jpg

Sunset at Eagle Lake
RT15Eagle.jpg

Got pretty warm in the north eastern part of the state, so used this as an excuse to throw out the awning and have a quick beer (Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin...not pictured) in the shade.
RT15Red.jpg

From 105F in Grants Pass to 55F at the beach near Crescent City.
RT15Beach.jpg

Camped in Six Rivers National Forest. TONS of trails and seemingly endless forest up there.
RT15Sixrivers.jpg

Found this guy cruising the trail. Decided to camp a bit farther down the road.
bear100.jpg

Stumbled across this, the best campsite of the trip somewhere along the coast north of Mendocino. Hard to beat cool mornings, beach access, and sunset views.
RT15Sunset.jpg

Headed inland from there, toward gold country and down along the western side of the Sierras. Unloaded all the gear again somewhere south of Yosemite.
RT15Unloaded.jpg

Tired, dirty, and melting in the heat and mosquito bites, we then sped back to San Diego for the 4th of July.

Only a couple casualties of the trip:

1. Right headlight
Seems like the Morimoto ballast gave up. Good excuse for an upgrade. 55W ballasts and bulbs on order.

2. Rivets on tent mount extrusions
Discovered (after chasing down a squeak) that 4 of 5 rivets on the aluminum extrusion that keeps one side of the tent mounted to the truck broke at some point. Fixed with a quick stop at Harbor Freight for a rivet gun.

Last edited:
looks like fun. I was in the mammoth lakes area around the beginning of july. I spotted a set up cruiser on hwy 120heading west bound from the Benton area.

Sounds like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing!

looks like fun. I was in the mammoth lakes area around the beginning of july. I spotted a set up cruiser on hwy 120heading west bound from the Benton area.

Cool. We went up 395 through Lee Vining, so were pretty close. I'm always looking out for other Land Cruisers and seem to find Jeeps and other, ummm, lesser vehicles on the trail.

Sounds like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing!

It was a great trip. I'm ready to go again tomorrow!

Love the pics. Thanks for posting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom