Would you buy a 6x with a rebuilt/salvage title? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the big question is, would you buy a rust free, good running 62 with a salvage title?

I did, back in '02. Well, it wasn't entirely rust free. It had suffered an accident just like the one you're looking at. 13 years, 40K miles and a few thousand in repairs and upgrades later, it still runs great.

Don't part it. There are millions of vehicles sold every year with salvage titles. Classic trucks and SUVs are getting scarce by the day. No reason to kill a good specimen.

I partially agree with this. When a vehicle gets parted, it keeps other specimens on the road. That said, selling this particular one to a limited market - off road use only, out of state for only certain states- and at a minimal price doesn't make $en$e to me and is more cumbersome than needed.

If priced right...dibs on 4.11 gears
[emoji41]

I have multiple sitting on the shelf ready to ship, email/pm if interested.

why is it offroad use only?

Nothing changes when a title is salvaged, except the value some people place on it, and only then does that really matter if they are trying to turn it for a profit. If the idea is to keep it for a toy or second vehicle, then who cares if its salvaged or not?

Plenty of people would gladly drive a 60 series with some dents and dings, they all don't have to be show queens.

Refer to post #14. For Texas, it could not be registered as it is an out-of state title, too many hoops and those 3 forms are impossible for me to get since I don't know who/where/when/how it was rebuilt. So I'd have to sell it off-road here or to someone who lives in a state where branded titles don't matter.

It would be a shame to part out a truly rust free example because of paperwork, look at the extreme lengths (time and money) of fab work people go to to save these trucks (gossamer). However the $$'s might dictate the outcome in this case.
I think Steve H. was right it would need to be more than $1500 off in this scenario. I "researched" a bunch of 60's and 62's recently when trying to find one in my limited budget. From what I saw Heckraiser is about right at 75% maybe 70% on the low end of normal value for a vehicle with salvage title that is otherwise in excellent condition.

Toyota : Land Cruiser FJ62

Im sure there are plenty of states with more relaxed rules than texas where an eager buyer could be found. It just depends on whether the $$'s would work for you or not.

Anything 81 and newer will have a easy to follow title history. The salvage title to me would be how long ago was it switched to salvage title. If it was just a couple of years old it would have to have some major damage to get totaled. A older vehicles doesn't take much of a accident to get totaled. In that case with pictures of the damage when it happened I would buy it. For this reason once a vehicle gets to a certain value I switch to liability only insurance. I get in a small fender bender I'm not dealing with a insurance company wanting to total it and have to buy it back with a salvage title. Or just not report it. I am covered for thief. My biggest concern is some uninsured motorist doing major damage with no recourse but to sue. Generally uninsured motorist don't have enough to bother suing. Our DD drivers are newer full covered vehicles so I can afford to take the risk of ending up with a truly totaled vehicle and get nothing for it. But in the end how much would I get. I also have declared value insurance on others. It's about time to consider one of these on my 89 FJ62 which is currently a liability insurance policy now.

I bought a truck once in Kalifornia where the owner did not have title in hand and it turned out to be salvaged (learned a lesson on that), because it had been donated to a charity.

Of course it will vary by State, but the hassle comes in registering the vehicle and most States will make the buyer go through a series of inspections to certify the vehicle is road-worthy. I had to have a separate brake/wheel inspection and schedule a DMV visual. It really wasn't too bad and I'd do it again if the vehicle was solid and the right price.

Last edited:
I would knock the price 50% if a true gem I might go 60% of market(same with clean title )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom