Electric Choke Hook-Up for V8/Quadrajet (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey All,

After 10 weeks of waiting, my new Quadrajet has shipped from Sean Murphy Inductions. Pretty excited to see if their work holds up to the hype!

One issue: The new Qjet comes with an electric choke. The current Qjet in my truck has a manual choke "conversion" I'd like to do away with if possible. I understand that you need a fused, switched ignition source (other than the coil) in order to power/heat the choke. Does anyone here have any suggestions on a good wire to tap or connector to use?

For what it's worth - I have a lot of options as all of the smog equipment on the truck is missing. It's a 75 however, with the original manual choke knob, so I don't think there was every any true electric choke equipment present.

I'm running a GM 12SI alternator as well, with a diode in place of the idiot light. I've seen some folks rig the choke to the alternator, but it looks like they typically use an electric oil pressure switch as a relay, which I don't have.

If anyone has some suggestions for a good place to patch this in, I'm all ears! Otherwise, I'll pull out the multi-meter and start testing the empty sockets for a switched, 12V source.

Thanks,

Rick

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the 12SI is internally regulated, but the "warning light" wire is connected to the switch 12V source that used to run to the stock voltage regulator. Would patching the choke in from the same source require way too much draw?

How about the idle solenoid connection, Black Yellow wire by stock 2f Carb. your looking for 12 volts correct?

I was having some wiring issues a while ago and pin_head suggested not using the coil to power anything other than the coil
Yes. It is best that the only things that are on the ignition circuit are the coil and the ignitor. Anythig else can compromise the reliability of your ignition, which is a safety issue.

whats wrong with off of the coil ?

Electric choke coils have a propensity to short to ground. You don't want it to short your coil and fry your ignition/shut down the 40 while driving.

How about the idle solenoid connection, Black Yellow wire by stock 2f Carb. your looking for 12 volts correct?

That's a definite possibility, I'll have to look around for a black and yellow wire. The source needs to be 12V and switched, only active when the ignition is "on" but inactive when off or set to accessory.

Is there a particular connector I should be looking for (i.e.: 1 prong, 3 prong, etc) to point me in the right direction?

On my 78 there is a single Black Yellow wire with a green connector on driver side fender, there is also brake master cylinder wire in the same area. This is a switch power source your looking for.

Could try 12-volt terminal on the ignition side of the ignition switch supplying continuous power while the engine is running

Could try 12-volt terminal on the ignition side of the ignition switch supplying continuous power while the engine is running

This would work, although I'd have to run an inline fuse as it would otherwise be a completely unfused line running straight to the ignition...

On my 78 there is a single Black Yellow wire with a green connector on driver side fender, there is also brake master cylinder wire in the same area. This is a switch power source your looking for.

Thanks! I'll go look around the fender when I get a chance and see what I can dig up. I assume my 75 probably had an idle solenoid, as it is still post emissions...

Yes you still have one and it should be very much like my 78, if i get a chance i can take a picture today

The Green connector on the carb.

IMG_20151004_170137.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom