How do these trucks ride ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I'm in the market for a 45 or 40 and would like some real world reviews on the difference in ride quality. Now I understand these are no way like driving a car but was wondering is the 20" longer wheelbase of 45 noticeably smoother than the 40 ? I rode in a few 40s so I have an idea of how the ride is but never a 45

My last truck was a 2008 dodge 2500 diesel short bed how much different should I expect ?

You are going from a modern vehicle backwards to a 60s/70s truck. I have both and enjoy them both. However if you are just going to have the 40/45 it will be a big jump backwards in comfort, but like I said I like them both.

Badly, the shorty being the roughest. I've owned both.

I guess I already new this I was just confirming. This will only be a toy truck by no means a DD but I would take it work once in a while. I miss having a pick-up for various reasons like hauling stuff as needed and since it won't be a DD I thought a cool out one would be fun.

I have owned both as well. The 40 has much worse ride quality than the 45. The ride quality on a 45 will also depend on the spring stack. Trucks with a factory full floating axle had a taller spring stack than a truck with a semi floating axle. Taller spring stack will equate to a slightly stiffer ride. My 45 has the FF axle and still rides 500% better than my 40 with new suspension ever did. That 90" wheel base is very choppy on roads with minor bumps and typical joints in roadway construction. If you need a truck and want an LC buy the 45. I bought a 40 and tried to use it for a truck. It doesn't work very well for that purpose.

I have a 45 pickup as well as a few FJ25s and FJ40s. The 45 has the best ride by far. It's a 64 production LWB. I have rear springs out of a 1 ton twenty year newer 45 which I'm debating if I'll use or not. That is a much thicker spring pack and figure ride quality would suffer. But not often have a chance to find a set used local here in the US so picked them up. Might take a few leafs out and keep the over load spring in. If the ride is rougher might just rearc my original springs.

I bought new OME springs for mine, but I have not installed them yet. They came with instructions to remove leafs as needed to adjust for ride quality. These are as thick as the originals that came either FF axle.

The 45 will ride much better than the 40. The secret is find your happy place, wait til your leg falls asleep ( that's your cruise control ) and just roll with the road LOL

DSCN3134.JPG

DSCN3289.JPG

The 45 will ride much better than the 40. The secret is find your happy place, wait til your leg falls asleep ( that's your cruise control ) and just roll with the road LOL
Or coil it with a 1HD-T.

both have OME suspension, I would say my 67 45LPB only rides as well as the 40 when its loaded with 500lbs of stuff in the bed, with the bed empty, the 40 wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom