Diesel Engine's Life? - How long do they run... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those in the know tell me at 100,000km they aren't even half full. So generally if they aren't changed they'll last the life of an average vehicle. Even changing it once would put you well into the 3rd standard deviation.

That's interesting; they must be a much cleaner running engine than older diesels then, or else most of the solids are ending up in the full-flow filter. Is the oil normally black or what?

Leaving aside the issue of additives, the attraction of centrifugal filters is the potential for greatly increased oil change intervals, or no changes at all. Oil doesn't "wear out" under normal use, or so I've been told by people whose knowledge and experience I rate highly.

This sort of filtration has been SOP on large marine and stationary engines for generations now.

That's interesting; they must be a much cleaner running engine than older diesels then, or else most of the solids are ending up in the full-flow filter. Is the oil normally black or what?

They are very clean running. They made Euro 3 and apparently can run visibly clean even with really scary EGT. There are a lot of dodgy remaps out there.

If I didn't have my 4BD1T I'd probably own a TD5.

my hilux 2.8 with a 3L motor in it has 465,000kms on the clock. it doesnt blow any smoke or use any oil. its only had the head removed once when i bust a timing belt at 375,000km and trashed 2 exhaust and 1 inlet valve. it gets serviced every 10,000km with complete new oil, castrol GTX diesel and all GUD filters.

My vehicles only do about 10,000km average each year. Some more, some less depending on which vehicle was needed the most. I have one 20 year old vehicle which has a genuine 160,000km on it. 8,000km per year.

If you want to know about the oil condition, get it tested when you would normally change it. even 5000/4000km is far too early for engines with good filtration. 0-50C isn't that bad for engines.

Well the exceptions are there....I was talking about the normal average which a car does in a year. I have seen a 1989 LJ70 with 974,000 Km on the clock...but that is an exception too..

my hilux 2.8 with a 3L motor in it has 465,000kms on the clock. it doesnt blow any smoke or use any oil. its only had the head removed once when i bust a timing belt at 375,000km and trashed 2 exhaust and 1 inlet valve. it gets serviced every 10,000km with complete new oil, castrol GTX diesel and all GUD filters.

I've often heard this phrase before: doesn't blow any smoke. What is meant by this? I'm pretty sure all diesels "blow" smoke at some time or other. Not trying to disparage you, but if yours truly doesn't, I'd like to know the secret.

Mine has less than 270,000 on the clock and it blows fairly well up hills and the like. And this is with me letting of on the pedal. When I was towing a heavy load, BOY did it ever blow smoke over the 97 hills!

My Merc with 670,000 blows smoke too. But the engine sounds perfect and it doesn't feel like a worn out engine. Or maybe I just got used to it wearing out slowly.

I've often heard this phrase before: doesn't blow any smoke. What is meant by this? I'm pretty sure all diesels "blow" smoke at some time or other. Not trying to disparage you, but if yours truly doesn't, I'd like to know the secret.

I'm guessing he never looks behind.
All the 2.4 and 2.8 toyotas blow smoke at full load. Even when new at low altitudes you could see it. The toyota IDI's run very rich, about 16:1 A/F ratio. If they didn't, they'd never make the speed limits.
You can turn down the fuel to make them burn very clean (20:1 A/F ratio) but you've just lost ~20% of your power and torque if you do that.

You do not want to be driving behind one. I was out cruising one day and a beaten up 2.4D hilux tried to pass me. I felt sorry for him so slowed down to about 80km/h to let him past (very slight uphill, he couldn't do more than about 90).

But the exhaust smoke was so bad I had to pass him again.

Last edited:
The Hilix 2.8 is a JDM unit with turbo right? Surely those have more pep-and-go than my normally aspirated 60 Cruiser? Mine smokes a fair bit on hard acceleration (whatever that means in 60, lol) and definitely kills mosquitoes on any uphill with a fully loaded trailer behind it!

The Hilix 2.8 is a JDM unit with turbo right? Surely those have more pep-and-go than my normally aspirated 60 Cruiser? Mine smokes a fair bit on hard acceleration (whatever that means in 60, lol) and definitely kills mosquitoes on any uphill with a fully loaded trailer behind it!

All the Hiluxes Ive seen with the the 3L engine(2.8 litre) are non turbo,in fact all the 3L engines are non turbo.
Not a great highway engine,but they are fine for around the city.
I see dozens of them everyday and have not seen copious amounts of smoke,the cops here are right onto you if you do make black smoke.

I use to work at a truck repair facility when I was young, if you do the periodic maintenance on most diesels we use to go to a half million miles on a regular basis. That mileage was on 18 wheelers that were used commercial, for me diesels taken care of last forever!

I guess i need to quantify my statement. what i meant is that under normal load conditions, my hilux doesnt blow any EXCESS smoke, ie, smoke that would be symptomatic of worn rings, excess oil use or running too rich. even when i dump the throttle, the is an extremely small amount to virtually no smoke produced. she does blow a little bit of smoke tho when shes cold or when shes under extreme load, but nothing when compared to my 2H in my 40, which isnt bad either compared to some others i have seen.

I'm guessing he never looks behind.
All the 2.4 and 2.8 toyotas blow smoke at full load. Even when new at low altitudes you could see it. The toyota IDI's run very rich, about 16:1 A/F ratio. If they didn't, they'd never make the speed limits.
You can turn down the fuel to make them burn very clean (20:1 A/F ratio) but you've just lost ~20% of your power and torque if you do that.

You do not want to be driving behind one. I was out cruising one day and a beaten up 2.4D hilux tried to pass me. I felt sorry for him so slowed down to about 80km/h to let him past (very slight uphill, he couldn't do more than about 90).

But the exhaust smoke was so bad I had to pass him again.

i do look behind me. trust me on this, this hilux is a VERY clean runner. but getting her up to 120Kph is a feat and you take a pic of the speedo every time you do.
as for the mixture, im not too sure on all of this. all i know is she runs really well, i get 10kms/L (not sure what that is in MPG) and she doesnt use any excess oil.

my 2.8 hilux is definitely naturally aspirated. no turbo here. and yes, she is rather sluggish on the take off. but i dont have her for her speed ;)

All the Hiluxes Ive seen with the the 3L engine(2.8 litre) are non turbo,in fact all the 3L engines are non turbo.
Not a great highway engine,but they are fine for around the city.
I see dozens of them everyday and have not seen copious amounts of smoke,the cops here are right onto you if you do make black smoke.

agreed. for whatever reason, our 2.8 hilux with the 3L is a very clean runner. shes not fast, but shes tough and reliable and i love her.:D

Mine has less than 270,000 on the clock and it blows fairly well up hills and the like. And this is with me letting of on the pedal. When I was towing a heavy load, BOY did it ever blow smoke over the 97 hills!

My Merc with 670,000 blows smoke too. But the engine sounds perfect and it doesn't feel like a worn out engine. Or maybe I just got used to it wearing out slowly.
a good diesel doesn't smoke. Good injectors and correct fuelpump. No smoke.

DSCN2740.JPG

make this on your 60 diesel and you gain 20 pk.
DSCN2739.JPG

DSCN2741.JPG

and than 1 demper exaust.

by only
450k on my 3b

If I purchased this new in 84, I would be a grandfather right now. Thing just keeps on going. Been having some start issue and may be looking at new injectors. BTW, is there a glow plug source for the 3b bj60 out of the states?

Secondly, can a partial rebuild, ie, new rings or new rings, pistons, cylinders extend the engine life? Rings would be cheapest bet.

By only original toyota rings, not cheap aftermarket, take a compression test, and see what is needed. i bet BEB bearings and rings is good.

imho it has less to do with diesel/ gas vs the actual balance and design of the engine.

all inline 6 's are inherently a very balanced design compared to v6 v8 engines. BUT with that said......when the engineers at toyota put their minds to it......they can make a very balanced engine. ie. The pinacle of which , for toyota , may actually be the 1uz gasser. Its very common to poke around craigslist and find literally dozens with well over 350k miles (thats 560k+km) . Theres even a 1991 floating around that had turned 1million miles or 1.6million km on original engine. !!! http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/im-dr...miles-across-the-countr-1684015600/1686272604

Somewhere on the web theres a list of motors/cars with highest original miles. cant seem to locate it......but most were gassers.

Diesels do muuuuuuch better when driven commercially. ie. trucking. because most of the wear is on startup......unless you start your diesel and leave it running......its probably not going to be any more durable than a very well balanced gas engine for the daily drive type duties.

Id put an early 1990/1991 1uz up against any toyota diesel any day of the week. The 3b might give it a run for the money.........but id personally take 280hp/300ft/lbs of torque aall day over 3b. And the 1hdt with the same power/torque isnt even in the same league as a 1uz durability wise.

Last edited:
My 1kz has 300,000km on the original engine with no work. Oil changed every 5,000km. Plenty in NZ with 400-500k km

Diesel trucks that I have experience are:
81 BJ 42 over 500k
95 Ford 280 k
04 GMC 290k
97 Dodge 360k
76 MB 240k
All are still going strong.
Change your oil will make em last a long long time.

iHD-T guy here. Umm....sorry, but they ALL smoke. A group of us idling together will choke you out. It's the nature of the beast. Never, never ever look in the side mirrors at night when sitting at a light and a car is waiting behind you. You WILL go insane.

Last edited:
iHD-T guy here. Umm....sorry, but they ALL smoke. A group of us idling together will choke you out. It's the nature of the beast. Never, never ever look in the side mirrors when at a light and a car is waiting behind you. You WILL go insane.
Advancing timing helps that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom