Pics of mud flaps/running boards delete with 285's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello friends,

So, Christine is coming along nicely. I finished up all of the maintenance items last week(timing belt, WP, Serpentine belt, plugs, axles repacked and new boots, all fluids base lined, etc) and she is smooth as silk now. Therefore, since the inside is like new condition (literally), it's finally time to move on to the exterior items. I took the rear mud flaps off and trimmed them right below the bottom screw. They are now "hidden" and IMHO gives it a clean balanced look after removing the running boards. I think the cruiser should have come from the factory this way. Sliders are next and opinions are welcome :) Thanks for viewing.

image1.jpg

image3.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

image2.jpg

Looking good Paul! I'm from Saratoga Springs, but live in the Boston burbs now. In addition to interior and exterior, don't forget the undercarriage. Not sure if you bought your LX from a dry state, but you might want to consider having it undercoated before Winter.

There's a place called 4x Heaven in Gloversville that's a Krown dealer. My Dad brings his truck there for annual undercoating and it's holding up quite well. I don't have any Krown dealers near me, so I have to DIY. Another Fall project.

Looking good Paul! I'm from Saratoga Springs, but live in the Boston burbs now. In addition to interior and exterior, don't forget the undercarriage. Not sure if you bought your LX from a dry state, but you might want to consider having it undercoated before Winter.

There's a place called 4x Heaven in Gloversville that's a Krown dealer. My Dad brings his truck there for annual undercoating and it's holding up quite well. I don't have any Krown dealers near me, so I have to DIY. Another Fall project.

The undercarriage is definitely on my list of things to do before winter, and thanks for the heads up. I will definitely call 4X heaven and get a quote. I have also been looking at Fluid Film as well. Did you go to Travers by the way? I had a free pass, but didn't go. Can't believe American Pharoah lost. Anyway, maybe we will cross paths someday if you pass through Saratoga. Thanks again.

The undercarriage is definitely on my list of things to do before winter, and thanks for the heads up. I will definitely call 4X heaven and get a quote. I have also been looking at Fluid Film as well. Did you go to Travers by the way? I had a free pass, but didn't go. Can't believe American Pharoah lost. Anyway, maybe we will cross paths someday if you pass through Saratoga. Thanks again.

Nope, try to stay away from the track when all the summer madness is going on. When I heard AP was running and they were capping attendance at 50,000 people, I knew I didn't want to be there lol. Had the 100 on the dunes of the Cape instead!

Nope, try to stay away from the track when all the summer madness is going on. When I heard AP was running and they were capping attendance at 50,000 people, I knew I didn't want to be there lol. Had the 100 on the dunes of the Cape instead!

That's exactly why I didn't go :) I bet the dunes were a blast!

How did you trim those mud flaps? More Pictures?

Looks great! Too bad the wife would kill me if I removed her running boards.

Also in to see how you trimmed the mud flaps. I'd like to do this to my cruiser.

Looks great! Too bad the wife would kill me if I removed her running boards.

Also in to see how you trimmed the mud flaps. I'd like to do this to my cruiser.

Thanks, it's an easy mod and the flaps are a breeze to take off. Once removed, I took a straight edge and drew a line all the way across just under the bottom most screw. I cut the flap at an angle following the lines of the flap before it bends underneath. By doing that, it allowed me to also keep the inner most screw hole in tact which screws into the bracket. I used a box cutter and hook blade that comes with my set. The cut was perfect as the bottom of the flap is just above the bottom of the bumper trim which gives it a clean, almost factory look. This also keeps a portion of the flap to provide some protection (which is better than none) and reattaches the bumper without issue. Also, I used the cutter to remove the front clip portion that the running boards connected to which gives the front area a clean look as well. So, removing the boards, front clip, and rear flaps are all free mods and IMHO make the rig look very clean and more rugged. I have received tons of compliments including the Lexus employees whom yesterday evening said, "dang, they all should look like that". I guess that's a compliment. Enjoy the pics.

image1 (3).jpg

image2 (1).jpg

image3 (1).jpg

Good to see another guy from the Capital District. Been on and off about pulling my running boards.

Stay away from Ziebart. They have a few shops in the area and recently screwed up a friend's truck.

If you need a decent indie shop Larry's Foreign Auto in Albany has been my favorite. They specialize in Toyota, Honda, Mazda, and a few other brands. Other than that I go to New Country Lexus in Latham as I've given up on all of the Toyota dealerships in this area.

wife would KILL me if I got ride of the running boards.... even though thats big on my to do list... I will try to keep those under lights as they provide a nice look when you unlock it at night... and safety from critters. I'll probably fab up a simple bracket for that though. I think she's getting me rock sliders for christmas... then I can at least look like I paid $$$ for a lift kit. ( which i did )

Good to see another guy from the Capital District. Been on and off about pulling my running boards.

Stay away from Ziebart. They have a few shops in the area and recently screwed up a friend's truck.

If you need a decent indie shop Larry's Foreign Auto in Albany has been my favorite. They specialize in Toyota, Honda, Mazda, and a few other brands. Other than that I go to New Country Lexus in Latham as I've given up on all of the Toyota dealerships in this area.

Hello my neighbor! A fellow mudder recommended 4X Heaven for undercoating. I called them today and they quoted me $129 for the Krown undercoating. New Country Toyota quoted me $300 for undercoating, but I don't know what they use. I have used Lexus of Latham to change my tranny fluid and a recent alignment.

I have also heard about Larry's Foreign Auto, but I used Ryans Garage up here next to Saratoga and was VERY impressed with his work as he repacked my bearings, and put brakes/rotors on all the way around. Let's meet up sometime and thanks for the response.

Cheers :beer:

Last edited:
My truck has lived up here all 17 years of its life and yea it does have some minor surface rust on the undercarriage, but compared to a lot of other 17 year old trucks that live in the salt belt, its pretty immaculate. I'm an auto detailer (well, was - I only do it on the side now with my own business, no more Albany Land Rover dealership) so I'm very picky about cosmetics in addition to mechanics.

We should meet up sometime, it's always nice to see another Cruiser lover, especially seeing how they're rare to begin with. I've seen a few around me but they're all driven by soccer moms, not that mine is an overland exotic because it isn't, but I do use it for its intended purpose once in awhile and love going off-road with friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom