oldie but a newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day to all
Thought it might be time to learn from example rather than by my own mistakes.
Tonight I am a man that is smiling from ear to ear as I have jut become the proud father of a 38 year old..
Having searched high a low for a 77 landcruiser troopie soft top i had all but given up, I even nearly bought an 89 4runner
Having read "the longest soft-top" many, many times I believe I have Matt and Jens twin in red.
The best news is the due its life out in the middle of new south wales, the usual cancer issues are no too bad. As they have virtually no rain for 20 years and this old girl has even has a solid nearly RUST FREE grill and surround, even the floor pan is 95% intact.
As soon as I can I'll upload photos and details..
one interesting detail is that it has had an engine transplant......
its now an hj....
complete with auxiliary tank...... needed for the distance between fills in its working life in the outback.
This one will make my seventh,
Wish me luck
Knowing me, i'll need it

Here are the first of the photos, and the start of a lot of questions

$_20.JPG

The first question is... What have i actually got??
drop down tail gate, and tie downs along the outside
took me 15 minutes of scrubbing the compliance plate to reveal details
car 2.jpg
car 2.jpg

now for the pix
still have not even brought her home..
more when she is.
car4.jpg car3.jpg car 2.jpg
I have my fingers crossed that it is a factory soft top RKJQ
but what i dont understand, is the why year 1963 is above where it is dated 4/77 on the compliance plate
Anyone with ideas.

The tailgate and factory roll bar are good indicators. Not sure about that vin plate? Seating for three? It was the very first year for a troopy so who knows. I actually bid and won a factory 77 soft top on ebay a few years ago, get this, it sold for $455!! It was beat up but still had the bows and canvas top! I ended up shipping the top and bows out here to california! I think the troopy was scrapped? Im pretty sure you have a factory soft top, if the tailgate has original mounting holes, no other troopy had a tailgate. Also look for the bow hardware mounting holes on the inside fender wells. Congrats on a rare rig mate!

Strange to have 1963 above the 4/77 and like whitey45 stated 3 seater.

Last edited:
Pretty sure its a factory soft top. As others have said the factory roll bar, tailgate and foot man loops for the soft top all match the other soft top troopy's I've seen. The fibreglass top is also the same as I've seen on others and is a period part.

I'd also hazard a guess that the V/T on the compliance plate stands for vinyl top.

I'd say it's a '77 FST, and the 1963 stamping is a misnomer. The footman loops, tailgate, roll bar and that glass top give it away. Seen two others like that - one had the same glass top. Was probs be a 2F/H41 with drums. Plans?

The plans.....
Well the wife thinks she has a choice in what I do.
I say.... find your own
At this point could got 2 ways...
1: kinda wouldn't mind it back to factory
2: half tempted to make it the tourer for my 4 month explore oz truck. Front disc, power steer, have a spare 60 series hd-t complete runner( body lost to being inverted suddenly) I would love to make the major donor.
I even have a bloke who makes custom sliding canvas canopies for utes etc,who I would like to see if he can do for this.
it all depends on how long I delay the trip.
Was planing to go july 2017..
I spose we'll see
just organised to get her home this sunday

Congrats !

As the FST's are rare, imho get it back to original would be the way to go, and also like that they are a blast to drive.

:cheers:

She's home
And the missus has already put in her 2 cents
"I like it red with the white roof ..and it needs to be comfortable and warm if you want me in it"
And so the decision has been made. .....
Rag top and original 464 beige with no mod/cons
Started with removal of bull bar, bonnet and doors already.
Next is the roof, seats, windscreen, guards and grill.
Best thing bout being in Aus is that parts are under everyone's back verandah.
And cheap.. already found a bloke selling a 79 front end, doors forward minus chassis for the grand some of $800
The seller says 100% rust free so I'm off to check tomorrow.
looks like finding the jump seats might prove a little harder but its early days and a lot of work before I need to worry.

Gotta love the troopies!
Shane at the Shed in Brisbane had a full set of troopy jump seats a little while back. He might still have them.
Mine was only ever complianced as a 3 seater but the rear had all the mounts and bolts for seats and seat belts so when I found seats and belts they bolted straight in. I have seen in another soft top troopy that there were no original mounts. Has your's got them?

nice find! I may know of a tatty set of rear seats... they in a h diesel hardtop troopy of your era... and no doubt a long way away from you!

Will double check when I get home but I do recall several threaded holes with nothing attached.
I would require the single seats for under the roll bar and double wide to the back.
would be very interested if seats are available without rest or weld issues.
Thanks

Ozefj Plz keep the pics coming, we all love pics

:cheers:

ok heres a pic haha

003.JPG

only got one side there ozefj. mates wreck. seems the locals in my parts just have to smash glass...

002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

Thanks west oz for the pix
I'll get a chance to play again tomorrow night with "the mistress"
Been a long week on and been looking forward to" letting my pants down"
Right style of seats for hard top but not with roll bar on the FST
Bugger.
Need the split, single first then double
But much thanks..
Hangin to get some tool time in
Bog hunt is my first call to see where I stand..
Not sure how the mrs and rug rats will respond when I arrive home and dont leave the shed except to say goodnight......

Many pix tomorrow,
I promise fj4043.. I know you like the old girls exposed

Shame to see that blue troop carrier in such a state. However, sadly,
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438869466.106924.jpg
I think that it's rear jump seat's upholstery is in better nick than all of mine.
Ozefj, will a full length back rest fit in behind the roll bar?

love the look but rely on others expertise if it fits with the roll bar. ( aint gona lose it)
ive played with 2 bj40's , 2 fj40's, 1 bj42, 1hj47, 2 60's inc the first sahara (1984) AND i MISS EVERY ONE..
but this is the first troopy
as i said
oldie but newbie
always love any help and thanks to all for the positive feed back
watched and read for years and now am one of the converted

in the words of wayne

we're not worthy

Finally back home with some (minimal) time to play
Weather has not exactly been on my side... wet and windy..
and of course shes parked in the shed with no power or fire:(
sorry about the delay but here are the promised pix.
Found a few more spots of rust that i initially found, but check out my floors
spent a couple of hours with my 10yr old playing find the bog.
He went round with my welding slag hammer.
if it went thunk instead of ping out came the wire wheel on the 5" grinder.
crude but effective but im not exactly worried about the paint job.

20150809_120210 - Copy.jpg

20150809_120335.jpg

20150809_120344.jpg

20150809_120822.jpg

20150809_120852.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom