best year for the 100 series?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ELLTEE said:
I took my fearless '99 up to Mount Mitchell last weekend -- the hard way: up the 1920s "motor road" from Montreat, which has been pretty-much hikers only since the Blue Ridge Parkway opened in 1939.

No problems, and no worries around front diffs. I like my 99 because it's not so new that I worry about a few more scratch 'n sniffs. A 2000 or newer would be nice, but I might be a little less likely to take it into more interesting places. You know?

LT
:cool:

I am interested in more info on this route you mention.

PM me off line if you want.

Thanks!

Me too. Group outing!!!!

me 3.

uzj100

cruiser4life said:
I am interested in more info on this route you mention.

PM me off line if you want.

Thanks!

Here's the rundown (long-post, but it's a good story):
The "Toll Road" or "Motor Road" goes from Black Mountain to Mount Mitchell-- only about 11.5 miles in a straight line, but 20 miles by the trail along the ridgelines. The route was built in 1915 or so to carry a railroad used to harvest timber throughout the Black Mountain Range.
The timbering was just about finished in the early 20s, and the road became a tourist route to Mount Mitchell, first as a railroad and then as a "toll road" for motor cars, through the 1920s and 1930s. Mt. Mitchell became the first state park in the 1920s, as folks wanted to see the highest peak east of the Mississippi.
When the Blue Ridge Parkway started development in the late 1930s, one of the first sections built passed by Mount Mitchell, so the private toll road was closed.
Today, the toll road is a hiker's route year-round. In winter, usually in February, the Black Mountain Marathon and Mount Mitchell Challenge run the toll road from downtown Black Mountain (elevation about 2500) to Mt Mitchelll (just above 6600) and back. Those folks are crazy.
The route is open to very few vehicles. One man and his wife live about halfway up the road -- no phone or electricity, but gorgeous views. He looks after a bear camp owned by the few private landowners left in the area -- most of the land in the area is owned by federal parks, muncipal watersheds, church retreats such as Montreat and Ridgecrest and non-profit foundations.

Here's the important part for Cruiser owners:
Once each year in August, as a fund-raiser, the Swannanoa Valley Museum (828-669-9566) sponsors a run up the toll road to Camp Alice, site of the resort at Mount Mitchell where the railroad used to dead-end. The cost this year was $75 per person for museum members and $100 for non-members, but drivers of cars capable of making the trip and willing to take three passengers can go free. (hint-hint, wink-wink)
Otherwise, about the only way to get a vehicle up there is to join the bear camp, but they only go about half-way up -- and the interesting parts of the route are alll above the bear camp.

I look forward to seeing a few of you guys next year.

LT

Thanks, LT. It's on my calendar. See you in August!!

Somebody remind me next August!!!

I would like to go also. Thanks for the heads up.

uzj100

late on this thread - but I would not waste effort on the DVD/NAV, be glad you don't have it so you can get a quality aftermarket if you really need and use one. I've used them OEM on my german vehicles (even quirkier), and the Alpine aftermarket (superb). Even my $300 portable GPS/nav is much more intuitive, functional, and user friendly.

in fact, already investigating if I can factory delete on the next one

b56tc said:
late on this thread - but I would not waste effort on the DVD/NAV, be glad you don't have it so you can get a quality aftermarket if you really need and use one. I've used them OEM on my german vehicles (even quirkier), and the Alpine aftermarket (superb). Even my $300 portable GPS/nav is much more intuitive, functional, and user friendly.

Are you kidding me? Toyota makes the best built in Nav system from any manufacturer. There are a few buttons in the wrong place but it is by far the easiest to operate of any car I have been in.

b56tc said:

If you're talking about COMAND and iDrive, the Toyota Denso unit is LIGHT YEARS easier to use than those, and just as funcitonal if not more so...

My $0.02,

I love the Nav system in my 2001. I want to get the new CD and update it, but I keep forgetting to buy it.

I also have a TomTom and yes, it is superior, but I really like the built in unit.

Also, on the TLC, the A/C dash area is cheap looking without the Nav system there ;)

Almost 9 years since the last post....

I'm thinking about upgrading my wife's 80 series to the 100 and I'm open to suggestions. Would be the family truckster more than an off-roader. I have my FJ-62 for that. Would like to spend under 15k and looking for comfort, room (kids) etc... more than anything.

Seems like the 2003-2005 fits that mold but I'd love to hear more.

Almost 9 years since the last post....

I'm thinking about upgrading my wife's 80 series to the 100 and I'm open to suggestions. Would be the family truckster more than an off-roader. I have my FJ-62 for that. Would like to spend under 15k and looking for comfort, room (kids) etc... more than anything.

Seems like the 2003-2005 fits that mold but I'd love to hear more.
04 LX is a sweet spot. You get the rear camera and Nav, no issues with AHC and it has the 5 speed. Drives like you are on a cloud. She will love it.

After putting a decent number of miles on both ATRAC and 98/99 100's off tarmac, I actually do prefer the pre ATRAC. Moreover, it is not like there have not been 4 pinion diffs that have failed as well.

That said, I would still prefer a 2003+ over my 1999.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom