Lost all gears except 1st & 2nd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I have 2008 200-series, only 40000 miles on it.

Reverse has taking a bit of time to engage lately, and today I lost all gears except 1st and 2nd. This happened just after some muppet steam cleaned the interior. Could it be related, or is it an older issue with the tranny, given how reverse was behaving?

I'm really far from a dealer or mechanic, so all help appreciated.

Cheers!

"Electronic controlled transmission". Steamed interior then you had problem. I think the water and electronics did not work well together. Maybe you will get lucky and when it dries out it will start working right again.

Have you tried shifting into sport mode to see if it will take any more gears. Im betting there is water in their somewhere that needs to dry out.

I have to say I will be surprised if a little bit of water caused the transmission to stop working properly. I've always understood [or hoped, rather] that the interiors would be able to take some water (i.e. if a sunroof or window were left open next to some sprinklers or in a rain storm).

I'm sure more than one person has had a cup of Starbucks coffee splash out of a Venti cup with an improperly seated lid!

I have to say I will be surprised if a little bit of water caused the transmission to stop working properly. I've always understood [or hoped, rather] that the interiors would be able to take some water (i.e. if a sunroof or window were left open next to some sprinklers or in a rain storm).

I'm sure more than one person has had a cup of Starbucks coffee splash out of a Venti cup with an improperly seated lid!

I believe the powertrain control module (ECM) is located in the dash behind the glove box. Not exactly a place that will get wet through fording, rain through an open sunroof or spilled drinks. Get a steam cleaner up into the footwells and you basically are trapping all of the water in a giant bubble behind the dash. That condensation will find its way into all sorts of nooks and crannies in an area that is unpainted or weatherproof.

Last edited:
Hi,

Managed to get a diagnostic tool, which didn't pick up any faults. Checked ATF, was good. Local tin shed mechanic thinks I need to change the gearbox!

Never been left stranded by a 'cruiser before. Hope it's something simple that I've overlooked. What drives the gear selector in these trannys?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom