Overdue Timing Belt, 01 Tacoma with a 5vz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new to me 01 Tacoma with the 5vz (3.4L) is WAY overdue for a timing belt. After doing a little research I think I can do the work my self. The general consensus from what I've read so far seems to be Guanine Toyota Parts are best and avoid Autozone or O'Reilly. Any suggestions on were to get the parts? The Dealer is likely to be expensive. Since the timing belt was ignored I'm betting other maintenance was ignored as well are there any other areas I should check?

The truck has an appointment with the local dealer in a couple days to get some old recalls taken care of and I expect they will have a list of things that need done after they look it over...

Beno, or CruiserDan

Got a very high quality Aisin kit from Amazon. Several people on the forum recommended it as the parts are OEM and Made in Japan.

After going over what all I want to get done on the motor I got some of the parts ordered today... Timing belt, Idlers, Cam seals, Crank seal, Tensioner, Serpentine Belts, Aisin Water pump, Thermostat, spark plugs & wires, Oil filter, valve cover gaskets, valve cover grommets, plenum gaskets, and some other seals. The rest I'll get locally. This is going to be more than I initially set out to do...

The parts arrived late Saturday. Now i just need a day or two to work on it!
Parts Arrived.jpg

Looks fun. It's always a little daunting to tear into an engine that deep, but it a great feeling to get it all back together. Take pictures and label everything, I learned the hard way. Good luck.

I haven't been able to start on the job yet. I'm hoping I will get it don this weekend. So far I haven't made or bought any special tools to prepare for the job.

Well, I got the covers off and discovered that the timing belt was just done about 10k mi ago. They did a good job of hiding the sticker. So, since I had all the covers off I inspected everything. All the belts, pulleys, water pump, etc. look good to go. I did a radiator flush and cleaned out an old mouse nest from the top of the motor. I still plan to do the valve cover seals and plugs/wires. If anyone needs a timing belt kit I'm willing to sell what I don't need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom