Looking at a 2005 GX! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have sold my 94 Toyota pickup on the search for something bigger and faster. I have found used 2005 GX with 130k for sale at the local Lexus dealer. The service records are as good as you can ask for, it has always been serviced at a Lexus dealer including the 90K service. But right after the dealer put it for sale the radiator was replaced is that something to be concerned about? Possible over heating issues? i have owned a lot of high mile Toyota's and have never had to replace the radiator. Besides that there is some minor surface rust on the frame welds. Everything else is in great condition!

http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html

look through that, that will give you year by year updated etc. there are also several different threads both here and other forums like T4R.org, and toyota120.com that have buyer threads and what to look and lookout for in these. basically there is not major problem to be weary of. power train is the same in a v8 4runner as well as the Toyota Land Cruiser 100 series. the motor is shared also with the Tundra and sequoia. the chassis is the same as a V8 4runner, and almost identical to a FJ Cruiser(shorter wheel base) -the Lexus has rear air suspension only found on the limited 4runners 2006 and newer.

not all GXs had 3rd row seating, so that might be a plus for you if you are looking for a family rig that can haul the kids and a couple of their friends or yeah... (the rear seats are removable).

also some of us prefer non navigation GXs as the navigation system is also tied into the stereo(like most vehicles) as well as the HVAC system. the bad part about this is if you swap the stereo out for a newer unit with more features such as bluetooth or USB ports etc, you lose the ability to control your heater and AC system as well as vents etc. and the speakers are not that great of quality and are exclusive to the Mark Levenson sound system(very very few aftermarket speakers will work with the system) -remember that this stereo and navigation system is technology from 2002 era, and never got any better. you can buy new maps CDs but you can not do anything to upgrade the OS or software. just some food for thought on the Nav units.

other than that there i have found no complaints on these trucks. they are a great improvement to the 4runner and its options and apointments but not as big as the or bulky or costly as the LC 100s are. i came from a 3rd gen(97) 4runner and have had no dissapointments in the choice at all. these are very at home in the city, around town and out on the highways all while be capable off road out on the trail. expect to see around 13-15mpg around town and 17-21mpg on the hwy depending on how you drive.

I just picked up a 04 gx470 125k have not had any issues. If the service records are good I would not hesitate buying it. The 4.7 is bullit proof just make sure the timing belt has been changed. Coming for a 97fj 80 this thing is like a race car and I just 2x my gas mileage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom