15" GX460 - Should I Love My Air Suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Gang,

We just picked up a new GX. Traded wife's Wrangler Unlimited Sahara since we're expecting our first. I had to have a real truck so I'm now in the family. I've always loved the look of the 91-97 Cruiser (and still do) - and it feels good to have a cousin of this legendary lineage.

Anyhow, we opted for the luxury to get height adjustable suspension for wife and other girls in dresses. However, we noticed that unlike a Range Rover the range (no pun intended) of adjust-ability isn't that great at all. Am I missing something? Is there a way to make the range greater? Can I lift it with some software or even allow it to keep the highest setting even while moving?

Starting to wonder what exactly are the perks of this feature...

I opted for the base package and no adjustable suspension, so I can't offer any advice. But I suspect the answer is no without any major modifications.

Thanks. But your right - not much experiential perspective ;).

What are the perks of having air/sport suspension. Hoping to have a glass half full perspective.

Its auto-leveling, useful for towing or carrying loads. Not meant for easy access for the princess. If you want the option and if they are willing to work with you, look into the LX570.

Without inflaming my 570 brethren I think that truck is WAY over priced. It doesn't provide anywhere near $30k more content IMHO. Nor does it in Panache. A Lex truck is a Lex Truck to most. $10k-$15k more at best in perception.

Btw, if I want what option go for 570? To remain high at speed?

Agreed, not enough range. Are there aftermarket airbags that lift more that can be fitted? Also can the system be overrode to allow it to remain on highest setting?

I have a 2010 GX460 with adjustable air suspension. When I drive around it's always in "N" normal mode. Only when stopped can I adjust the height to "Lo" or "Hi" and I believe it only stays in these positions up to less than 20 mph. Even then the only suspension changes in height are to the rear. So when I park I set the height to "Lo" and hear the air being expelled. This helps with my wife and kids as they get in or out. As soon as I take off the height adjusts to normal ride height once I get to about 20 mph ish. I don't have the manual on me, but I think the ride height for "Hi" is approximately 3-inches. I think "Lo" is something like 1.25-inches to 1.50-inches. Just to get a handle on your question, approximately what amount of range in height were you wanting?

I didn't see mine go 3 inches higher for "high". Even staring at wheel wells I barely saw change. In Range Rover you can literally see/feel the amount of range. But will check again. Would be nice if there was a setting to automatically go to low when car goes in park.

I could tell that the ride height changed when I put it in "Lo". I haven't measured it, but to me it was noticeable. Honestly, I agree with you that the range is not all that great. Plus, there is no telling where Lexus measured the change from. That's basically when you find out they meant 3-inches overall or some bogus marketing crap they come up with.

Regarding your question about maintaining the range, I have seen other forum members post things they did to trick the system into thinking the height needed to be higher. From what I recall this involved placing washers between the frame and the ride height sensor. Basically, the sensor is judging the distance between the sensor and the metal frame. By taping washers to the frame under the sensor, the system thinks it's leveled out when it is really not. I have not done this nor do I intend to, but this would conceptually solve the issue of maintaining a 3" ride height.

Overall, you're limited by the amount of height the airbags can achieve. Also, it would only raise the rear as there are no airbags in the front suspension. Firestone makes a decent airbag system for the 4Runner, and from what I've been told most things that fit a 5th Gen 4Runner will fit the GX460. The only downside is the system is manually operated, so unless you tap into the GX460's existing system I think it will be more of a pain than it is worth. I bet you Lexus claimed the 3-inch ride height because that was the maximum extended range of the airbag. I will measure it when I get home and confirm this. Or they could have measured it as 3" for high, 2" for normal, and 1" for low. Therefore, they can claim 3" of range when in reality it's only 1" up or 1" down. Ah man, now I am bummed out.

The bump stops could also be a factor. Just spit-balling, but once the air from the airbags is expelled there is a possibility that the height doesn't change much because the rear bump stops rest on the rear axle. Thinking about it, this actually makes sense as a possible reason. I had to change out my rear bump stops on my 4Runner to allow for more articulation when I use to go mudding. Also, you can only adjust the ride height when at low speed, which would make sense because if you hit a bump at high speed you could damage the bump stop. This is just a thought. I will confirm later.

Ultimately, Lexus designed this vehicle for luxury. Thinking of that, I am sure there are various redundant systems to maintain this luxury feel. For example, if the airbag were to go out the bump stops are probably beefier and designed to make the ride decently enjoyable until you can get your vehicle in for repair. They way I would attack this problem is to start from the bottom (no pun intended). By that I mean, I would first start with what height I want the vehicle to be when I am in the low suspension mode. Then I would work to adjust everything that tells the vehicle the low suspension height has been achieved. Kind of like that washer idea mentioned above, but in reverse if that's possible. I will let you know what I come up with. Yay, more tinkering for me. And yes it would be nice to have the height adjust automatically when parked. It would also be nice to have my mirrors fold in and out automatically too. I hear that feature just now became available for 2015.

Thanks,

_AC

I'm pretty sure you could "trick" the height to be taller by moving the height sensor wherever it is. Or you could convert to 4runner/FJ Cruiser springs and add aftermarket airbags. Otherwise I think you're going get what you've got. FWIW, the one I test drove before I bought my 4runner had a reasonably significant amount of adjustment. I think 3" would be a reasonable claim. I played with it sitting static at the dealer.

So this past weekend I confirmed the height from "Lo" to "Hi" is approximately 2". I measured from the top of the tire to the bottom of the wheel well opening (not inside the wheel well). In full "Lo" mode the frame bump stops almost touch the axle. My theory is that the shocks prevent this from happening fully, but I didn't have time to check. I forgot to check the height difference from the ground to the sidestep just to see what kind of distances we are working with. However, I was actually surprised when I stepped out of the vehicle in "Hi" mode and it was a sizable fall for me. I am sure this was just because I am not use to this setting. I will check this later.

_AC

my girlfriend has a 2015 GX460, haven used the air system off road, but last week I pulled a 18foot trailer with 60 bales of hay and the air suspension level the rear out great without a problem. it raised the front of the trailer about 5" after we loaded it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom