Shaky ride in our 2010 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just came back from a 600 mile road trip in the LX570 - first long trip since installing new Michelin Latitude Tour tires in 305-50-20 on the OEM rims. I was not happy with the ride at all. The truck felt like it had a slight shake almost constantly while cruising the interstate between 60-80mph.

I observed this with the previous tires as well but thought it had to do with uneven wear. I had the old tires balanced a few times but I always thought there was a slight "shake".

I remember reading on an older thread that there was a "recall" for 2008 and 2009 trucks for a part of the drive line that could cause the shake but I don't think 2010 was covered.

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the "shake". It is highly annoying and I am about to take it to Lexus to hopefully figure this out.

I am sure they will want to balance the tires first but I am 90% certain the tires are NOT the issue. My 100 had a much smoother ride. :-(

I have done thousands of freeway kms with the stock setup with no issues. What tire pressures are you running?

34 PSI all around

Anyone have the info on the Lexus TSB for the balance issue on the 2008-2009 models?

With the stock setup I find even small changes in tire pressure make a difference. Every time I get the truck serviced at the dealership they jack up the tire pressure to 36psi and it changes the ride - much harsher and follows every groove and crack on the road. I find 32psi (as per the owners manual) seems to provide the best ride for this rim/tire combination.

I noticed that these 200s are very prone to vibrations related to proper wheel instantalation and lug torque.

Had a bad tire rotation once on one of the LCs. I had to jack it up loosen lugs and correctly re torque them in a carefull crisscross pattern. I saw the tech put one of the wheels on during the tire rotation, and noticed he just went clockwise pattern using an air impact wrench, and never specifically toqued any of the wheels. Right after that it had a horrible , horrible shake . So after redoing them correctly, problem solved.

Last edited:
Sounds like a balance issue... Make sure when they are doing the balance on the tires they are using the plates that the rims can mount to on the balance machine... They are using the cone devices at discount tired now and they can never get the damn things balanced... I had to go do a road force to get my shimmy solved...

Called JM Lexus to make sure they will have a loaner for me and they are so busy that they told me not to bring it in until next week. Damn! I will update after I get it back from the dealer. Hopefully balancing the tires will take care of it.

Sounds like a balance issue... Make sure when they are doing the balance on the tires they are using the plates that the rims can mount to on the balance machine... They are using the cone devices at discount tired now and they can never get the damn things balanced... I had to go do a road force to get my shimmy solved...

I use discount tire, no balance problem.

No Discount Tire in my area - closest one is 3 hours away. I'm pretty much stuck with the dealer, Costco, Tire Kingdom or smaller shops. I find that the dealership and Costco seem to have the best and most modern equipment. Tire Kingdom looks like the last equipment upgrade happened 20 years ago.

Road force balancing is the best, but a knowledgeable tech is more important. I had a Toyota tech who could align and balance any vehicle even before road force was available. I have had road force done at a dealership that could get the ride close, but not smooth; but first time at another dealer, would get it right. Costco has done reasonably well balancing for me, and they have always hand torqued the wheels. However, a good tech will know the nature of each wheel/tire (road force) and place the wheel on the vehicle where it will give the smoothest ride. I have found it important to get an accurate alignment, then an effective wheel balance and positioning for the smoothest ride. With these steps I rarely have to rotate the tires - just monitor the wear and adjust pressure accordingly. I like the Michelin LTX tires, and typically get 70+K miles per set to the 5/32 level, when I start looking to replace the tires.

Road force balancing is the best, but a knowledgeable tech is more important. I had a Toyota tech who could align and balance any vehicle even before road force was available. I have had road force done at a dealership that could get the ride close, but not smooth; but first time at another dealer, would get it right. Costco has done reasonably well balancing for me, and they have always hand torqued the wheels. However, a good tech will know the nature of each wheel/tire (road force) and place the wheel on the vehicle where it will give the smoothest ride. I have found it important to get an accurate alignment, then an effective wheel balance and positioning for the smoothest ride. With these steps I rarely have to rotate the tires - just monitor the wear and adjust pressure accordingly. I like the Michelin LTX tires, and typically get 70+K miles per set to the 5/32 level, when I start looking to replace the tires.

I agree the LTX M/S wear like iron and are the best road tire, including snow. I got the OEM MicHelin Lattitudes which with 30k miles on my LX570, should last until out of warranty. Then I am going with the best riding A/T I can find. I have always had good luck with all Michelins for balancing and Discount tire has always been great to do business with.

My feels were so hurts when I learned Michelin doesn't offer the LTX M/S properly sized for the 200 series. I went with another Michelin and came to realize what folks meant when they were saying this Michelin is terrible in snow.

Just got the LX back from the dealer and they just ended up balancing the tires and calling it good. It definitely feels better now but it is somehow still not rock-solid like my 2003 LC was. The service adviser suggested that I could be feeling road imperfections. If that is the case then the LX transmits a lot more imperfections than my old LC did.

Not sure what to think at this point. I will drive it some more to evaluate further.

20" OEM with 305-50-20 rubber.

Just got the LX back from the dealer and they just ended up balancing the tires and calling it good. It definitely feels better now but it is somehow still not rock-solid like my 2003 LC was. The service adviser suggested that I could be feeling road imperfections. If that is the case then the LX transmits a lot more imperfections than my old LC did.

Not sure what to think at this point. I will drive it some more to evaluate further.

This is exactly what my dealership did and said. I went back to them again to redo the tire balancing. They then told me that one of my rims was out-of-round. I have no idea how that happened, but I swapped out that rim with my spare rim and all was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom